Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SouthJerseySleever

Pre-Op Diet Started, Surgery Date Set!

8 posts in this topic

As long as all goes well in insurance land I will be getting sleeved in 12 days (eeeeeeek!) May 17th is THE DAY!

I came home on Monday after eating and drinking my way around France and Italy for 2 weeks (best food funeral ever, btw). Even better, I was only up 2.5 lbs from when I left, which was the day after my last visit for my 3 month supervised diet. I wanted to be sure I was under my last recorded weight when I went back to see the surgeon yesterday for my final pre-op visit, so I started my office's pre-op diet just to drop a few pounds. Well, that worked out in my favor b/c they were able to schedule me 13 days out instead of 19 (they only do WLS on Tue & Wed).

So, I'm powering through the pre-op diet . My office does 2 - 3 approved protein shakes a day (I use Premier) and 1 high protein, low carb meal a day, with the option to snack on raw veggies whenever. I'm feeling pretty good so far. This weekend I'm planning on preparing for post-surgery meals for my family. I'm a big meal prepper so I'm going to make sure the hubs and 3 kids are set for food so I don't have to cook when I can't eat anything. 

Looking forward to sharing my journey with everyone :)

Jen581791 and CoTN like this

Congrats on getting your surgery date! It's not long now.

Just think how much fun it'll be to travel around France and Italy in the future when you have more energy and it's easier to get around :) I'm a traveler, so this kind of thing is very much a source of motivation for me. 

Your pre-op diet doesn't sound terrible compared to many - I hope you get through it well. Best of luck.

Not long at all! 

Great idea to prep meals for your family ahead of time - I have been considering doing the same. Your trip sounds wonderful! Keep plowing through that pre-op diet and keep us updated :)

Good luck, all sounds like such a great path!  I'm a meal planner, the first week my close girlfriends did a meal train and that was very nice just to not even walk into the kitchen at all.  The second and third week I had it planned and enough items prepped to make it mindless as by then I was mourning chewing and crunching.  2 mos in and I feel like a pro; what I eat is part of the family meal, I'm just having small portions and none of the bread/potatoes.  So far the only thing I miss is cornbread  :D

On 5/5/2017 at 8:17 AM, SouthJerseySleever said:

As long as all goes well in insurance land I will be getting sleeved in 12 days (eeeeeeek!) May 17th is THE DAY!

I came home on Monday after eating and drinking my way around France and Italy for 2 weeks (best food funeral ever, btw). Even better, I was only up 2.5 lbs from when I left, which was the day after my last visit for my 3 month supervised diet. I wanted to be sure I was under my last recorded weight when I went back to see the surgeon yesterday for my final pre-op visit, so I started my office's pre-op diet just to drop a few pounds. Well, that worked out in my favor b/c they were able to schedule me 13 days out instead of 19 (they only do WLS on Tue & Wed).

So, I'm powering through the pre-op diet . My office does 2 - 3 approved protein shakes a day (I use Premier) and 1 high protein, low carb meal a day, with the option to snack on raw veggies whenever. I'm feeling pretty good so far. This weekend I'm planning on preparing for post-surgery meals for my family. I'm a big meal prepper so I'm going to make sure the hubs and 3 kids are set for food so I don't have to cook when I can't eat anything. 

Looking forward to sharing my journey with everyone :)

Dear SJS, let us know how you are doing. Best wishes - I had a final meal of BBQ ribs before starting my pre-op liquid diet - 

On 5/18/2017 at 0:54 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Dear SJS, let us know how you are doing. Best wishes - I had a final meal of BBQ ribs before starting my pre-op liquid diet - 

I'm now 13 days out from surgery. I weighed this morning and I'm 28 lbs down from my starting weight. I see my Dr on Thursday for my 2 weeks check up and hopefully I'll move onto purees. I am so over the liquid diet at this point. I'm on full liquids, but it's impossible for me to meet my protein goal with just "food" (soups, yogurt, smoothies) so I'm still drinking two shakes a day and I have to force them down. Just smelling them makes me gag. 

I am sad to say that I'm not one of those people who never felt hungry. I have felt hunger since day 7, but I'm sticking to my eating schedule (1/2 cup food every 3-4 hours or shake). I'm going to talk to my Dr about that on Thursday, but I think it's normal for some people to still feel hungry.

Today is my first day back to work and I'm SO glad I took off as much time as I did. While I'm sure I could have gone back earlier last week it was very helpful to be home when I was transitioning from clear to full liquids. I'm actually having a tough time today watching everyone snack on donuts and junk in the office. I'm sitting in my cube sipping on my water bottle. It was easier at home where I didn't have junk food shoved in my face. But, I'll make it through. I want this so bad, I'm not letting donuts get in my way :) 

Best of luck to you!

Cadoodle and Havamal like this

1 hour ago, SouthJerseySleever said:

I'm now 13 days out from surgery. I weighed this morning and I'm 28 lbs down from my starting weight. I see my Dr on Thursday for my 2 weeks check up and hopefully I'll move onto purees. I am so over the liquid diet at this point. I'm on full liquids, but it's impossible for me to meet my protein goal with just "food" (soups, yogurt, smoothies) so I'm still drinking two shakes a day and I have to force them down. Just smelling them makes me gag. 

I am sad to say that I'm not one of those people who never felt hungry. I have felt hunger since day 7, but I'm sticking to my eating schedule (1/2 cup food every 3-4 hours or shake). I'm going to talk to my Dr about that on Thursday, but I think it's normal for some people to still feel hungry.

Today is my first day back to work and I'm SO glad I took off as much time as I did. While I'm sure I could have gone back earlier last week it was very helpful to be home when I was transitioning from clear to full liquids. I'm actually having a tough time today watching everyone snack on donuts and junk in the office. I'm sitting in my cube sipping on my water bottle. It was easier at home where I didn't have junk food shoved in my face. But, I'll make it through. I want this so bad, I'm not letting donuts get in my way :) 

Best of luck to you!

Congrats on the weight loss. You must be feeling pretty positive about things. This was a tough transition for me ... I was approved for soft solids/ purees but my system really needed the soft stuff for a while yet. I still really can't eat very dry or hard foods at nearly 10 weeks.

I've had a struggle to figure out how much is physiological hunger and how much is head ("hedonic") hunger. I mostly only feel physiological hunger after hard exercise now. Like you the program of eating something every 2-4 hours has been helpful.

Not sure I have really added anything except to say we are with you... and unless the donut stands up, wiggles provocatively, and winks at you, don't be seduced by it.

Cadoodle likes this

What a great update! Thanks for checking in!