zirco leopard

Calorie Question??

8 posts in this topic

How many calories should I be eating at 7.5 months post op from gastric bypass surgery? How many calories do you all eat?

I know everyone's body is different and everyone has different levels of activity... but all my paper work from my surgeon doesn't say anything about calories so I'd appreciate any suggestions or information..

Calorie needs (to lose and maintain, man and women) differ greatly.  Ultimately, our body will work out the calorie level it needs depending on our gender, age and level of exercise etc.

I'm 62 years and a little over 9 1/2 years post-op and eat an average of 1,600 - 1,800 calories a day M-F, 1,800 - 2,000 Saturday and Sunday.  But in the summer I'm a lot more active outside and can increase that by approx. 200 calories a day.  I also walk 3 miles every day at a stiff pace on a treadmill with incline.

But I have a few WLS friends, some over half my age who eat far less and still struggle to lose weight.

athenarose and LeeC like this

I am at 2 weeks post-surgery.  My dietician recommended 600-800 calories/day during the weight loss phase and about 1200 calories during the maintenance phase.  Last week I averaged about 825 calories/day.

Thanks everyone! My goal is 700 calories a day. I typically meet that goal or even fall 100 calories below it making it 600 calories. If I go over the 700 I make sure it's nothing drastic and I will have 800 calories. I have only gone over twice since I starting counting the calories.

Anyone else?  I am also very curious as to how many calories people with VSG are now eating to maintain their weight. Thank you. 

I'm in the losing phase and usually consume between 600-800 calories per day. This seems to be about as much as I can eat comfortably in a day, getting in all my protein. I'm walking about 5 miles a day right now.

I'm very interested to see how maintenance will go, in the far-off day in the future when I get there... 

Smashlee83 likes this

Hi everyone  i hope all of you are in the best of health. I need opinions from experienced individuals who have gone through RNY or had a conversion from sleeve to a bypass. Or just straight RNY. Have you had any seizures?? Does everyone have bowel obstructions? Haital hernia etc?  A little about me I had my initial surgery LSG OR VSG SLEEVE  2/13/2013 since I have had weight gained 40+ my lowest weight was 170lbs and now I am at 214lbs, I have severe reflux acid reflex and the doctor is saying I have to do a bypass to get rid of the reflux. I was scheduled a year ago but due to some personal life events I had to postpone plus I was concerned at the 170 that I would loose too much weight then  but I am  concerned about gastric sleeve conversion to gastric bypass due too many post online regarding patiences  experiencing seizures, haital hernia post gastric bypass . I am extremely scared and just looking for stuff online. Besides weight gain and severe reflux which isn't that severe as with many ppi anti acid medications it can be managed. I honestly want to do it now for the weight loss but I don't know if all the complications are worth it? Can people who have had the laparoscopic bypass  long term complications are worth it 

Dear Zirco Leopard, 

I'm still in active weight loss period and today am 49 days out from surgery (exactly 7 weeks). My intake is about 1200 calories a day but am also exercising an hour a day or more (quite hard cardiovascular, either cycling or swimming), so on balance I might be similar to someone with 400-600 a day with no exercise. I've recently been at a zillion family events and am sure my intake has been as high as 1500 calories a day on a couple of occasions. I also had a recent plateau that lasted about 2 weeks, and got a lot more rigorous about intake (kept to < 1200/ day) while I made sure to exercise at least an hour a day. 

My NUTR team is happy with my weight loss, as am I. They are also totally tight lipped about how many calories I "should" be eating - the paperwork I have has "typical" meal plans for the day, and they seem to be around 600-800 calories a day. So long as I am losing weight I think they are ok with my intake level. 

When I last met with them, those elusive NUTR rascals said they would talk about caloric intake with me when I got closer to my goal. My take is that each of us is really different and, well, decreases in weight are decreases in weight and there is no reason to feel bad about it not being as rapid as somebody else with a different metabolic setup. Success is success. FYI there have been a series of articles in the NYTimes about how much people's bodies vary from the averages when it comes to metabolic rate. 

Jen581791 likes this