Carina

Dumping with only diarrhea?

Hi, here's a nice question. ;) I've had diarrhea yesterday and today, both times after lunch. Is it possible that that is a form of dumping? I have been feeling weak in general, but I didn't get any specific flu-like feeling, nausea etc.

Anybody? :)

It does not sound like dumping, but it may be your body's way saying that it does not like what you are eating.  Or it may just be your body is going through a phase after your recent surgery.  Hang in there.

Carina, what did you eat right before it started? Was it the same thing for lunch? It might be a slight case of dumping that is mild depending on how hydrated you are. Not everyone will experience nausea before it happens.

But if could also be your body adjusting to a new types of food / nutrients that aren't absorbing well into your intestinal tract. Have you had any issues with it today?

The two lunches were different, so hard to say what exactly it was. Today was better; I had only a slight problem once. :)

Glad today was better for you. Hopefully, it was just something caused by your system still adjusting and is only temporary. 

If it does keep happening, definitely give your doctor a call. Do you keep a food diary during your recovery? I've been thinking about creating one myself, but my sister-in-law did one during her first two months about what foods she ate at a time, how she either liked/disliked the taste of it, and how she felt afterwards. 

Thanks! Yes, I'm still using MyFitnessPal to keep track of (especially) my protein and water. Your sis had a good idea. :-)

Ok, now I had it after dinner too. About an hour after the meal: big cramps in the lower belly, then diarrhea (once). Does this sound familiar? Too much food? Eating too fast? Just part of the game?? Sorry for the details....

Edited by Carina

I'm sorry you're still having issues with it. And there's no one common item that you've eaten each time it's happened? Even if prepared a different way? If you haven't already, I would definitely call your doctor's office about the issue. It seems like it could still be dumping with the cramping and diarrhea, but it could also be a mal-absorption issue. About how soon after eating is it happening, less than an hour or more?

About an hour.

Does sound like dumping then if it's so soon afterwards. :( Maybe try eating even slower than you are now, or break up the meal into phases: eat half of the portion - stretch/walk - eat the remaining portion? So your body would have a chance to process in small amounts and not all at once in your system. It's obviously not a cure/fix, but I wonder if Imodium or other anti-diarrhea medicine would help alleviate some of the symptoms? I hope your doctor is able to help with the issue!

Are you still on a liquid or mushy diet?  

No; we were allowed to transition to solids. I haven't had any stomach cramping with that for several days, just this new problem.

I had a lot of problems with that in the first 2-3 weeks. It dropped off a lot when I quit dairy, but still had some issues. I identified sugar alcohols as another cause and quit those. Still had a few issues, but that all stopped around 3 weeks out. I think if I were you, I'd try a little investigation by elimination - I know you're cleared for solids, but maybe dial it back to soft foods for a couple of days and see what happens? No shame in retreating into easier foods for a time. Everyone's stomach is a bit different, it seems like! Touchy after being cut open, re-routed, and sewn up, I guess ;) 

Do you eat anything greasy or oily?  

No, can't think of anything. We use a little bit of olive oil preparing dinner, but I probably ingest about half a teaspoon. None at lunch.

I called the hospital this morning. The person I talked to wasn't too worried, but she will ask the nurse to call me...on Monday. In the meantime I just have to make sure I'm drinking enough.

Ate lunch about an hour ago, so waiting to see whether anything is going to happen. <_<