TP1210

Oh, hello there.

24 posts in this topic

Just dropped in to say hello. Life is good, hope all is well with you all. Moved back to NY last year, having fun, bought a new motorcycle, etc. down to 184 and a 34" waist. Down from 485 and a 72" waist. Seems like a lifetime ago! June 30 will be my 2 year surgiversarry. Never thought I'd be here..hahhah

that's me in March, the tattooed guy

meandwg.JPG

tmcgee, LeeC, Stephtay and 2 others like this

Happy 2nd surgiversary.  It's good to see you posting again TP.  

It's staggering to think that you have lost just over 300lb!  That is amazing!

Do you have a pre-op photo you could share as a comparison?

Trish1967 and TP1210 like this

Happy surgiversary! Totally amazing! Congratulations on all of your hard work :) 

TP1210 likes this

Oh my god! I remember when you started...that is a breathtaking transformation. You should really post a pre-op picture, because I can't think of anything more inspiring for newbies.

BRAVO

Stephtay, TP1210, cinwa and 1 other like this

Here you go. You can tell it's me by the tattoos. Lol. That's about all that looks the same. 

IMG_0459.PNG

The new bike. It's 4 weeks old today. 

IMG_0378.JPG

A-MAZ-ING! Well done!

That is a truly staggering transformation!

TP1210 and Trish1967 like this

Just a few pounds from my goal of 180. But I'll probably try for 170 next. 

Trish1967 likes this

Inspiring!  Congrats!

40 minutes ago, TP1210 said:

Here you go. You can tell it's me by the tattoos. Lol. That's about all that looks the same. 

IMG_0459.PNG

Wow!! Just incredible!

TP1210 likes this

That is an awesome Transformation!!

TP1210 likes this

Congratulations! You are correct - I can only tell it's you in both photos because of your tattoos! Thanks for sharing. What an inspiration!

TP1210 likes this

5 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Wow!! Just incredible!

Wow! Just wow. You are a real inspiration to this newbie. 

TP1210 and Trish1967 like this

Posted (edited)

Jaw dropping WOW!  I remember posting I couldn't wait to see after pictures!  Omg!  You've done awesome!  Amazing!  

Life is good?

Edited by Cheesehead
TP1210 likes this

Thanks everyone. I have really stuck with my plan and I am loving my new life. I can enjoy myself for the first time in a long time. 

Remarkable!

TP1210 likes this

I am dating someone who I think is as large as you once were.  I am having my own WLS Wednesday and trying to encourage him to start the process. I know he has to be the one to put down the food and do the work but in guy speak how can I encourage a guy who has truly given up on himself?  He is "in the food" as we say in OA. Did you have a medical wake-up call or what truly got you to make the move to start the process? 

TP1210 likes this

52 minutes ago, Hotmamatime said:

I am dating someone who I think is as large as you once were.  I am having my own WLS Wednesday and trying to encourage him to start the process. I know he has to be the one to put down the food and do the work but in guy speak how can I encourage a guy who has truly given up on himself?  He is "in the food" as we say in OA. Did you have a medical wake-up call or what truly got you to make the move to start the process? 

my doctor told me I would be dead in 2 years.

Fantastic!!!! Congrats!

12 hours ago, Hotmamatime said:

As a guy, I refused for many years to even consider having a gastric bypass. I did not want to give up food. I did not want to admit that I really was that fat. I worried that (like every other diet) the surgery would not work. I worried about being out of work after surgery.  Mostly I just wanted to ignore my serious weight problem and bury my pain in high calorie foods (washed down with Diet Pepsi).

Then a (female) person in my office had a gastric bypass and I saw how she lost her excess weight and how she could still eat (after the initial few months) most real foods, just in smaller and more healthy amounts. Most of all, I saw how very happy she was to be lighter and more healthy. I asked her lots of questions and then (about six months after her surgery) I decided to have the same surgery as her with the same surgeon. About five months later I had the actual surgery.

I had the surgery mostly because I wanted to spend the decades going forward with my family and because I was tired of being over weight.  I did not want to die an early death due to my high weight.  

I was tired of wondering if I would fit into an sirplane seat. I was tired of worrying that a chair might collapse under me.  I was tired of not being able to buy normal clothes. I was tired of avoiding having my picture taken. I was tired of random people that I would meet making negative comments about my weight. I was tired of sweating all the time. And, I was tired of being judged by people as being fat when they first met me. 

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass, as it allowed me to become thin and healthy. It has allowed me to become active and feel so much more alive. 

OK - so now to answer your question. In general, guys really hate to be pressured to do something (especially by a woman) as this questions our judgment, our virility and our self worth. The more that you push him, the less likely that he will agree to it  

So the best way to get a guy to have the surgery is show him by example. When he sees you losing weight and being happy about it, when he sees you fitting into smaller clothing, when he sees you get a "new relationship with food" in which food is not used as a form of comfort or escape, when he sees you eat out and not be unhappy about it, and when he sees you love your body more, that is when he should want to have the surgery. Try not to pressure him to have surgery. Let him think that it is his idea. 

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. 

Posted (edited)

On 5/2/2017 at 5:04 AM, Res Ipsa said:

So the best way to get a guy to have the surgery is show him by example. When he sees you losing weight and being happy about it, when he sees you fitting into smaller clothing, when he sees you get a "new relationship with food" in which food is not used as a form of comfort or escape, when he sees you eat out and not be unhappy about it, and when he sees you love your body more, that is when he should want to have the surgery. Try not to pressure him to have surgery. Let him think that it is his idea. 

So much this!

Although there are definitely differences between men and women, this is good advice for any gender. Policing behavior or decisions about eating and food can be really destructive to a relationship. It's better to say nothing and let your success speak for itself. I don't know about you, but no one talked me into having WLS. In fact, I bristled at the mere mention of my weight by anyone regardless of how well intentioned it was. My decision was a long, quiet and private process. And up until the time I got to goal, I wasn't in a position to tell anyone else how or what they should be doing about their weight. It was an issue of credibility and to be perfectly frank, I didn't have any. How could I ask someone else to do what I had been unable to?

It may make sense to talk to your fella about what he can expect your life to look like post surgery. Think about and decide what it is you need in order to be successful. You have the right to make decisions that are best for you and your health. Perhaps try and communicate this in terms of what you need and not what you think he should be doing.

I get it. Your life is about to change dramatically for the better and you'd like him to be a part of that...for his sake and yours. Inspiration is your best chance at influencing him and that requires no words at all :-)

Edited by Jabsie
ikantspel, Res Ipsa and BurgundyBoy like this

On 5/1/2017 at 7:04 AM, TP1210 said:

that's me in March, the tattooed guy

meandwg.JPG

Dear TP1210, thanks for popping in and sharing this update. It's an inspiration and proof "we can make it too."