OGmandyV

I made a Weight Loss Goals Spreadsheet!!!

7 posts in this topic

So I don't want to pressure anyone into reading my blog, BUT I did do a post about a Weight Loss Goal Spreadsheet I made. I thought you all might want to check it out. It's pretty nifty! The link is in the post!

https://bigtexasgirl.com/2017/04/28/weight-loss-goals-spreadsheet/

I hope you find it helpful! :-) 

Stephtay, Havamal, Jen581791 and 1 other like this

Nice job Mandy!

Thanks for this, its nice to have a visual reference! :)

Your chart is an interesting way to look at weight loss.  Thank you for posting a link to it.  However, keep in mind that the chart presupposes that you currently know what is your long term goal weight. 

Setting an accurate goal weight before weight loss surgery is almost impossible.  For example, at my current post-surgery long term maintenance weight range of 177-180 pounds I look great, and both my primary care physician and my wife tell me not to lose any more weight; yet, technically, many ideal weight charts state that my ideal weight is 155-165 pounds.  At that lower weight I would be way too skinny.  Similarly, BMI calculations based on your height may result in you setting too low a goal weight.  In contrast, many surgeons set goal weights that are too high - perhaps to reflect the fact that many people do not lose all of their excess weight after surgery or to make their surgical "success rates" look better.

Thus, what I have learned (by personal experience over the last 3.5 years since my surgery and by reading many postings here at TTF) on setting an accurate goal weight is quite simple.  When you have your surgery set a provisional goal weight that you think is right for you based on your prior weight history and what your surgeon tells you should be your goal weight.  Then lose lots of weight after your surgery by sticking to the diet, drinking lots of liquids without calories, and leading an active lifestyle.  Once you reach your provisional goal weight (and you will if you really stick with the diet plan) then determine (in consultation with your PCP and other people who you trust) if you should lose more weight (or perhaps even gain a few pounds) in order to reach a revised goal weight at which you will look and feel both healthy and thin.  It may be that your final long term goal weight ends up being very different than the goal weight that your surgeon gives you.  

Keep in mind that in general people who have the sleeve lose weight a slower than people who have the gastric bypass.  Also, in general men lose weight faster than women.  But, and this is really important, what matters is not how fast you reach your thin and healthy goal weight, but that you do reach it and then maintain it long term.

I did not have weight loss surgery to lose just 70% of my excess weight or to regain weight after reaching my true goal weight.  I had my surgery to reach a healthy goal weight and then maintain it long term.  To me, failure is not an option.

We are here to support you on your weight loss surgery journey.

First, I'd like to say that the numbers posted within the chart were arbitrary random numbers. I realize that it's not always practical or possible to determine a goal weight. The great thing about the chart is that you can adjust it as you continue on your journey. 

In my opinion, there is not a one size fits all solution for how you look at weight loss or focus on goals. For me, the weight loss chart is just a way to look at information. I did use numbers close to my personal weight, but I know from being thin when I was younger, that 130 lbs is not realistic for me by any means. I simply took a number from a chart and inputted it for the sake of simplicity.

Honestly, at this point, I have no expectations on myself as to a number to lose or a goal weight to reach. I want to be healthier and more active. The numbers are working as more of a guideline or milestone format for me. I know I am looking forward to being under 200 lbs and losing 50% of my excess weight, but beyond that, I'm not trying to set any expectations or impossible pressure on myself. 

The chart was shared because I know that math is not always easy for some people and that some people will enjoy seeing visually what different goals might look like. I do hope that people choose to work with their doctor and health care team to determine what life looks like with weight loss surgery including setting those goals. 

My point is, not everyone will benefit from the chart but some will. Some people are more goal and data oriented while some people approach this from an emotional and holistic point of view. Even if it helps only a handful of people, I am glad I shared it. Everyone views this process differently, and I don't think we should decide how someone processes or approaches their weight loss or weight loss surgery journey.

Res Ipsa likes this

Hi Mandy, thanks for sharing. I'm a charts-and-graphs, visualizing-goals kind of person, too, so it's helpful to me. Although I know we can't really know what our bodies will be thinking/feeling/doing as we approach goal territory, or where we'll eventually end up, it's nice to have a tracker to show approximately where we've come in relation to the somewhat arbitrary "goal weight" number set in the early stages. 

I subbed in my numbers and it looks like the calculator has a hard number (267) instead of a calculated number (start weight) in the calculations for the "actual weight" column - otherwise the calculations all work out perfectly. I've shaded out the areas that I've already passed by, and it looks pretty impressive! I'm more than 1/3 of the way to my GW. 

I've added a column to put the date I reached each step, as well. Good record-keeping for later when I don't remember how it all fit together.

Thanks again :) 

Havamal and OGmandyV like this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Hi Mandy, thanks for sharing. I'm a charts-and-graphs, visualizing-goals kind of person, too, so it's helpful to me. Although I know we can't really know what our bodies will be thinking/feeling/doing as we approach goal territory, or where we'll eventually end up, it's nice to have a tracker to show approximately where we've come in relation to the somewhat arbitrary "goal weight" number set in the early stages. 

I subbed in my numbers and it looks like the calculator has a hard number (267) instead of a calculated number (start weight) in the calculations for the "actual weight" column - otherwise the calculations all work out perfectly. I've shaded out the areas that I've already passed by, and it looks pretty impressive! I'm more than 1/3 of the way to my GW. 

I've added a column to put the date I reached each step, as well. Good record-keeping for later when I don't remember how it all fit together.

Thanks again :) 

Oh, thank you! I fixed it so it's a formula!! I'm glad you like it! I know it's not perfect, but it helps to see it in my opinion! But I know it doesn't work for everyone and that's okay!

Edited by OGmandyV

I'm glad you shared it - I've just been lazy about actually putting all those numbers from my various apps into a spreadsheet so I can see them all together. If you're not using it, monitoryourweight.com has a good app for tracking your losses - I like how it graphs. Numbers! Data! Graphs! I can get behind that.

Havamal likes this