Zyia

Cold all of the time.

23 posts in this topic

So, before surgery, I was hot, like all of the time. However, now almost 9 months post op, and I am freezing, all of the time. Today was in the early 90's and I still was in a sweater. Does anyone else get cold often? I also have learned to sleep in my socks, so my feet don't freeze. 

MarktheNerd likes this

Yeah, this is really common. I am freezing to death all the time now, and my wife is beside herself that I am changing the heat when she is comfortable.  She tells me this is evidence the aliens have in fact landed and ... chose to reset my thermometer, instead of the usual things one would expect with interstellar contact, like world peace or the outbreak of an epidemic. Like you I am wearing more clothes to bed, and using an electric blanket. My wife mutters about this being evidence of aliens. 40 years of us living together... and aliens have taken over my body. 

About 20 years ago I lost a lot of weight through dieting. I was freezing all the time then too. 

Two reasons: one, we are way less well insulated than before the weight loss (this is good, even if we are cold) and secondly our metabolic rate is often lower than it was. The only time I am ever "warm enough" is after I have done an hour of swimming or cycling. At least you are living in California! Here in New England the trees have not yet fully budded out. 

Brrrr. I'm wearing 2 layers of clothes plus a big warm fuzzy robe. I read your post and turned the heat up. 

athenarose and Zyia like this

Aye, but I live in the mountains of California, which means we get snow, and cold cold weather.. But yes, I am assuming it's common, it's just my gosh, I am shivering, wrapped in a blanket, thermals, and socks!! 

Terrible, terrible.... people know about the belly pains, the social awkwardness when served a 96 ounce steak for 3 that we can't eat... not knowing the biggest sacrifice is how cold we are all the time.... I have to go turn my electric blanket on now.... keeps the aliens away....

On a more serious note maybe the folks who had their surgeries a while ago can chime in... it's funny your thread appeared now, as I had just gotten up from the computer to turn up the heat. 

Feeling the cold is pretty normal after losing a lot of weight.  It's very rare to find me without a cardigan or sweatshirt regardless of the season.

athenarose likes this

Yes, all the time. I used to be burning up in the dead middle of winter, but now: freezing cold most of the year. My fingers are in fact cold as I type. I'm getting used to it.

Oh man...this is not good news for me!! I have terrible bodily temp fluctuations since my thyroidectomy, and I'm cold a lot more often than I am hot. I'm talking freezing to the bone cold. Ugh...now I'm losing my insulation and I'm going to be colder? AAHHH!! I still think it's a fair trade off to live a longer, healthier life...I guess I'll just be living it in a sweater! 

Before I lost my weight with a gastric bypass, I was hot all the time.  Now I wear a sweater every day except on hot days in July and August.  

Here is another posting on this topic:

I don't think this affects everyone the same. do you feel a change, I did but not as drastic as most. the heat doesn't bother me like it used to.

used to be when it got above 85' I had a hard time, breathing was a large part of it. the cold I think bothers me more than it used to but not much more.

that being said, I also live out in the country on an old farm so I am outside a lot & have an outside job which I think conditions me to the temperature changes & extremes.

Yes!  Before surgery I was hot all of the time!  I ran the AC all winter!  Now I'm cold most of the time and I realize why nobody ever wanted to work with me.  :D

I'll try to look on the bright side. When I was a kid I luxuriated in the warmth of summer - recently pretty intolerant to it. Maybe post-op, this summer will be more comfortable. 

15 months post-op and I'm looking forward to 90 degree days (about mid July).  Under armor shirt, T-shirt, light weight hoodie and a flannel lined shirt on right now.  Sometimes I wear peds and socks (so cold feet) at the same time.  Have a heated mattress pad warming the bed right now and (if needed) fuzzy warm socks.  I'll take being cold and healthy any day of the week.   

Res Ipsa likes this

Still have to laugh at how this plays out. Was visiting relatives in Texas - beautiful weather - who just upgraded their previously anemic air conditioning.

Froze to death. 

Yep!  Went diving in 83 degree water and 5 mil wet suit today, was frozen by the time we got back.  I may have been the only person wearing jeans and a sweatshirt on the plane down here to Cayman!  In winter I have a portable floor heater I keep pointed at me with a heated electric throw..I can tell in summer when the temp drops to 80 without looking at a thermometer; I grab a sweatshirt!  

A word from the wise; keep jackets stashed in all your vehicles, at work and wherever else you happen to go often...

MarktheNerd, LeeC and Res Ipsa like this

Dear Cheesehead, your posting abut swimming in a wet suit led to a lightbulb going off in my head. I swim most days in a pool heated to 80-81 F. Over the last month I've been wondering why it always seems to be cold now. I have to swim a half dozen laps before I feel warm. DUUUUUHHH! (and this is after I posted about feeling cold in my own house...)

Cheesehead likes this

Well, I sure hope this is the last summer I sweat like an idiot for no reason.

14 minutes ago, Carina said:

Well, I sure hope this is the last summer I sweat like an idiot for no reason.

It will be.  I rarely sweat anymore, unless I am in the midst of a very active workout.

I would much rather be a bit cold, and put on a sweater, than be hot and uncomfortable.  

cinwa likes this

This is actually something I'm looking forward to!! :)  I am always hot and sweaty and I HATE it.  I don't feel like I can wear my hair down or wear nice things because I'm always hot.  I feel like it just draws attention to me being overweight.  It's kind of embarrassing.  My mom had gastric bypass about 10ish years ago and she is constantly cold.  I bought her a single sized electric blanket for her to use in bed because my dad is part polar bear and can't stand being hot!  She loves her blanket!  She's even gained some of her weight back and she's still cold... maybe it's something that just stays??  

58 minutes ago, daniellelove1987 said:

She's even gained some of her weight back and she's still cold... maybe it's something that just stays??  

Coldness can also be a sign of anemia, and everyone responds differently. Some people have symptoms with just a slight dip in their hemoglobin numbers, and others dont feel anything until they have less than a 1/3 of their circulating volume left! Always worthwhile to double check that  your labs are satisfactory.

cinwa likes this

I think there's more to it than just losing our insulation.  I was cold in the early days before I'd lost enough to make a difference.  I'm wondering if there are some hormonal connections at least in the early part of the process.  It has normalized for me now.  Yes, I get cold more easily but when I'm cold other normal weight people are cold too.  It is awesome :)

tmcgee likes this

I've always felt cold when I'm actively losing weight and this goes back 40 years.

On 5/8/2017 at 9:06 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

Dear Cheesehead, your posting abut swimming in a wet suit led to a lightbulb going off in my head. I swim most days in a pool heated to 80-81 F. Over the last month I've been wondering why it always seems to be cold now. I have to swim a half dozen laps before I feel warm. DUUUUUHHH! (and this is after I posted about feeling cold in my own house...)

I did some reviews in the pool at the Y for scuba a couple years ago.  I wore a wetsuit and was frozen!  I went directly to the hot tub wetsuit and all!  I used to freeze hubby out in the winter.  I'd crack the window.  Just before surgery our bedroom was at 48 degrees!!  

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I did some reviews in the pool at the Y for scuba a couple years ago.  I wore a wetsuit and was frozen!  I went directly to the hot tub wetsuit and all!  I used to freeze hubby out in the winter.  I'd crack the window.  Just before surgery our bedroom was at 48 degrees!!  

Our poor families. I used to tolerate cool house well, my wife would need it hotter... Now I am cold, need it hotter than her... 

paybacks...hubby just tells me my thermostat is broken;)

Edited by Cheesehead