Hi everybody, I'm 3 days post-op and doing ok! Gently progressing to smoothies...I'm watering them down, just to be safe...and soo looking forward to cream soups. Pretty tired of the sweetish stuff, and not happy about the broth. On to better things! Still have pain and a swollen belly, but getting a little better each day. I expected to pass large amounts of gas, but so far just tiny eruptions here and there. Wish it would hurry up and leave!

Glad to hear you're doing well!

1 hour ago, Juliet said:

Hi everybody, I'm 3 days post-op and doing ok! Gently progressing to smoothies...I'm watering them down, just to be safe...and soo looking forward to cream soups. Pretty tired of the sweetish stuff, and not happy about the broth. On to better things! Still have pain and a swollen belly, but getting a little better each day. I expected to pass large amounts of gas, but so far just tiny eruptions here and there. Wish it would hurry up and leave!

Good to hear, keep us updated on your progress!

Walking is your best friend when it comes to gas Juliet.

Yes, need to walk more. Been pacing the house mostly, since it's boiling hot out there. If it's not the heat, it's the mosquitoes. But I will do more! Able to feel my pouch today, to discern between the pouch pain the incision pain. Haven't needed pain meds today, but will take a small dose at naptime. 

Question: Do I need to measure liquids? I had the medicine cups in the hospital and they counted them, but now that I'm home do I need to still do that? Can I just fill a small cup with water or whatever liquid and sip at intervals, keeping track of the total amount?

3 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Question: Do I need to measure liquids? I had the medicine cups in the hospital and they counted them, but now that I'm home do I need to still do that? Can I just fill a small cup with water or whatever liquid and sip at intervals, keeping track of the total amount?

I would just measure once how many ounces the cup you are using holds & keep a tally of the cups.

18 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I would just measure once how many ounces the cup you are using holds & keep a tally of the cups.

I agree, until you reach the point (probably in a few weeks) where drinking lots of liquids is not a problem for you and you are going well over your daily minimum amount of liquids each day without trouble.  From that point on, you probably do not need to keep count of how many cups of fluids that you have each day as long as you drink liquids frequently throughout the day.. 

Keep in mind, that in general gastric bypass patients have a much easier time than sleeve patients in drinking liquids, as with a gastric bypass the fluid flows straight into our intestines (once the swelling from the surgery goes down) leaving the stomach empty for more fluids.  For example, I currently drink about 160 oz or more of liquids per day.  Obviously, avoid carbonated liquids as they will fill your stomach with gas.

On 4/21/2017 at 2:58 PM, Juliet said:

Just getting into this, had my first appointment April 12 and have all the psych evaluations and nutrician classes set for May. Dr. is recommending the Bypass. Haven't gotten the lowdown on insurance, which could put a damper on this, but I intend to go forward to save my life...

Thanks to all of you who take the time to help others.

Welcome Juliet! Congrats on your surgery. As far as the water goes, take small sips and trust your body. Remember, the water will go right out, so keep sipping. Soon you will be able to drink larger quantities of water. Everyone is different so take it one step at a time. 

Edited by NerdyLady
Oops