OGmandyV

Surgery Scheduled - Newbie / 1st Post

17 posts in this topic

My surgery is officially scheduled for 5/22/17! I cannot wait (no pun intended). My surgeon told me he couldn't help me determine how much weight I would lose so I'm not sure what to set as a goal weight. I want something realistic, so that's why I picked 180. But honestly, I would love to be back at my high school weight (even if things don't look that way anymore). 

May 8th I begin my preop diet. It's not really all that liquid, just low carb. 

Anyway, a little about me, I just turned 30 years old and I've actually only been overweight for about 7-8 years or so. I'm not sure why I gained SO much weight in such a short amount of time. I imagine a combination of poor diet habits, poor sleep habits, depression, and STRESS. I'm lucky that my insurance approved me. My BMI was over the threshold with no comorbidities. I'm having the surgery in hopes that I never face the health challenges that plagued my relatives and that I might one day be able to have kids. I also have PCOS. 

I'm just looking to connect to people and form some sort of support system beyond my husband and mother-in-law (who rock and are with me 100%). I am hoping to find late-20 somethings and early 30 somethings to connect with and talk about life immediately after surgery and such. 

Anyway, if you wanna chat, let me know! Also, I feel dorky, but I have a blog called
Big Texas Girl. Feel free to check it out. I began it as I started my 6 month diet journey and will continue with it as I go through this process. 

Hope to chat with you soon!

NerdyLady likes this

Welcome!  We are here to support and help inform you. 

OGmandyV likes this

Welcome! I'm having surgery May 31. It will be fun to lose together.

OGmandyV likes this

Posted (edited)

Welcome, @OGmandyV. I hope your journey goes smoothly. The community here has been very helpful and supportive for me - great place to get answers and encouragement :) 

Here's a video on "goal weights" from a bariatric surgeon. It was helpful to me in thinking about the journey, and it might help you think about yours. He's got lots of other good videos on his YT channel, too. 

I'll check out your blog.

Edited by Jen581791
Gretta and OGmandyV like this

Welcome! Fellow 30 something here! Congratulations on your date - it is just around the corner!

When I was anxiously waiting for my surgery, I binge watched all of Clusie's YouTube videos - I love her frankness and her quirky sense of humor. Check them out while you wait, if you haven't already done so! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGHPqGhf1TOLpJ4hUVF08w

OGmandyV and Trish1967 like this

Thank you everyone for the great welcome and encouragement! I'm so excited, but nervous to be going on this journey!! 

Welcome to Thinner Times Mandy!

OGmandyV likes this

I really like your blog, @OGmandyV. You have an engaging writing style and the thoughts you share are very relatable to many of us with weight issues. Looking forward to reading more :) 

OGmandyV likes this

15 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Welcome, @OGmandyV. I hope your journey goes smoothly. The community here has been very helpful and supportive for me - great place to get answers and encouragement :) 

Here's a video on "goal weights" from a bariatric surgeon. It was helpful to me in thinking about the journey, and it might help you think about yours. He's got lots of other good videos on his YT channel, too. 

I'll check out your blog.

Did I miss the link for the video? I'm excited to watch! 

14 hours ago, jenn3366 said:

Welcome! Fellow 30 something here! Congratulations on your date - it is just around the corner!

When I was anxiously waiting for my surgery, I binge watched all of Clusie's YouTube videos - I love her frankness and her quirky sense of humor. Check them out while you wait, if you haven't already done so! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGHPqGhf1TOLpJ4hUVF08w

I've seen one or two - I should binge now! I didn't want to get ahead of myself before. 

15 minutes ago, OGmandyV said:

Did I miss the link for the video? I'm excited to watch! 

Uh, yeah. Not the first time I've done that... :rolleyes: I just edited to insert it.

2 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Uh, yeah. Not the first time I've done that... :rolleyes: I just edited to insert it.

No worries! I do that sort of thing allllll the time! :-D 

Welcome! Your starting weight is close to what mine was, so just be prepared that you may drop far below your goal weight (even though I totally understand your hesitation to set what seems like a crazy low goal weight). I hope you find the support and connections that you're seeking here. :)

Jen581791 and OGmandyV like this

On 4/21/2017 at 5:30 PM, athenarose said:

Welcome! Your starting weight is close to what mine was, so just be prepared that you may drop far below your goal weight (even though I totally understand your hesitation to set what seems like a crazy low goal weight). I hope you find the support and connections that you're seeking here. :)

Congrats on your incredible results!!!

I think at my thinnest, when I was younger and skinnier (def not healthier), I was 135. That seems unreal and impossible to me right now. I remember when I weighed 180 there was extra I wasn't crazy about but I liked how my face looked. That's how I even picked that number! 

athenarose likes this

13 minutes ago, OGmandyV said:

Congrats on your incredible results!!!

I think at my thinnest, when I was younger and skinnier (def not healthier), I was 135. That seems unreal and impossible to me right now. I remember when I weighed 180 there was extra I wasn't crazy about but I liked how my face looked. That's how I even picked that number! 

Well, at the very least, it's a good starting goal.  I think you may be surprised by your results after surgery. Everyone is different, of course, but it really does reset your body in some ways so you may surpass 180 and hit a seemingly impossible number. It's still insane to me that I weigh what I do (and my head definitely hasn't caught up with my body), so the fact that it seems unreal to you makes perfect sense.

Carina and OGmandyV like this

Congratulations on the great news and welcome to the forum! I'm in Dallas so we're just down the street.... kinda, sorta. :)

On April 20, 2017 at 9:55 PM, jenn3366 said:

Clusie's videos are good! I've watched hers too. Also, check out Mypreciouslife on YouTube...her videos are great too :)