Trish1967

I got my date!!!

May 17th!!! I had what I thought was just my weigh in appointment today. But somebody in my surgeons office was supposed to call me at the end of March and let me know that they were changing the appt time and adding a visit with one of the PA's, schedule my clearance appointments and see the NUT. No one called me. So there was some confusion when I got there because my appt was scheduled for 1:30, but when I got there they said I was due in at 1. Ugh! Glad I brought my appt card with me! I had to sit around until 2:45 to be seen, but it's all scheduled! A lot of new office staff there since last year. ANYWAY, I only needed to lose 20 pounds pre op and I lost 22 so I'm good to go. They said to just keep doing what I'm doing and that I've done a great job :D That's always nice to hear :) 

Great news. I cannot wait to welcome you to the losers bench!  I have never regretted having my gastric bypass. 

Congratulations Trish. What a pleasant surprise that must have been, especially knowing the unfortunate delay you had along the way.

I'm SO happy for you! Finally!!!! Well done!

Losers Bench in less than a month! Very exciting - it'll be here before you know it  :D

Thank you all so much! I was totally blindsided because I hadn't had any of my clearances scheduled yet, so I figured it'd be at least the end of June before I would be under the knife, lol. And my surgeon never told me what my pre op loss had to be, he just said go back on the diet. The PA checked the computer and said...oh, Dr. wanted you to lose 20 and you lost 22...you're good! I can't wait to join you all on the losers bench!!

Congrats!

Congratulations Trish!  Not long to go now.

7 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Congratulations Trish!  Not long to go now.

Thank you!! Nope, not long at all!! 3 weeks and 5 days! I start my 3 day liquid diet on Mother's Day, lol. But I can't wait :)

5 hours ago, Carina said:

Congrats!

Thank you!! :):):) 

oooooo - not long to go Trish!!!  How are you feeling?:)

2 hours ago, CZJ said:

oooooo - not long to go Trish!!!  How are you feeling?:)

No, not long now!! I'm actually starting to feel better, finally! My body is finally adjusting to much lower (normal, lol) blood sugars, and my hunger is starting to ease up some. Thank you so much for asking :D I've lost 23.2 pounds in 5 weeks, and I still have 3 weeks and 4 days to keep losing :) What stage are you at in your journey? I hope you're having a lovely day!

Edited by Trish1967

wow, 23.2 lb is a lot to loose so well done for that girl!!!!  Its the keeping it off that I find impossible - is this what you've found Trish?  So I'm hoping that have bypass will make this more achievable and I'm hoping for some dumping :wacko: to remind me to only eat good stuff - I have such a sweet tooth and can scoff inordinate amounts of chocolate, cake, biscuits etc etc. 

can I ask you what it is about bypass that has made it your choice Trish?

Iam having a lovely day, partly because of my appointment with my surgeon 2 days ago when he made me feel completely ok about my situation, having a band for 6 years (and being heavier now than when I had this fitted) - I was quite teary eyed, I felt so understood and accepted.

I'm struggling to believe that Ive actually committed to such a drastic procedure, it does seem so huge and of course here in the UK we don't talk about things like this except in fairly disparaging terms ( out of ignorance) and having any sort of surgery, for cosmetic reasons or weight related stuff is just frowned on.  I suspect that I probably actually know a few people who've had stuff done, but they've not told anyone, which is where I am at the moment!!!!  Right now, I plan to keep this entirely to myself apart from you and few others on here.  Have you been able to discuss this with your family and friends Trish?

Good to hear that your blood sugars are stabilizing and you feel much better ( its so tough when you feel weak and crappy isn't it).  Have you been on vlcd for this - shakes and stuff like that.  I have used Lighter Life and also Cambridge diet in the past.  The diet sheet Ive been given for the weeks before my op is just very small amounts of regular food.

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon Trish!!  X

Yes, CZJ, keeping the weight off has been my Achilles heel, so to speak. I've always been able to lose weight...in fact I suspect I've lost several hundred pounds over the course of the 25 years that I've been overweight...only to regain it, plus more. I was not an overweight child, and was not overweight as a young adult. I developed an eating disorder while married to my ex husband...I was a binge eater. Between that and thyroid problems, I gained slowly and steady over 20 years. I had a lot of medical problems and several surgeries that made it difficult to exercise and caused a lot of depression. I have been trying to make the decision to have WLS for 10 years now, but a visit to my back surgeon kind of made the decision for me. 

My decision to have the bypass was simple for me...it's the most restrictive procedure, and being this heavy it gives me the best chance for success. Oops...my grandson just got here, I must go be a gramma for a bit! I will finish my response when he leaves :D

I'm done grandmothering for now, lol. I'm so very glad to hear that your doctor treated you with respect and understanding regarding your band experience. You deserve nothing less. Yes, gastric bypass is a drastic procedure, but most of us considering it or deciding to have it done have tried just about everything out there and this is a last resort. There is a lot of stigma attached to WLS here in the US as well, so talking about it is hard for some folks...me being one of them. I was supposed to have this done last year, and I told my whole family and some friends of my decision. A lot of people think it's the easy way out, and I only wish some of those people had to go through my pre op program before saying that. I had to postpone my bypass last year due to a cancer diagnosis, so that had to be treated. Now that I'm cancer free, I'm going ahead with it, but the only people I've told are my kids and my husband. No one else. I'm not bringing that negativity into it this time around. That's why I like this forum so much...you can get so much support here, it's like an online family :) 

and yes, I've been on a vlcd since March 16th. I'm allowed food, but only about 800 calories a day. It's pretty strict, but I adhere to it religiously except for one day. My 50th birthday was on April 6th, so I allowed myself a nice lunch out that included a chocolate mousse. That's it. I drink close to a gallon of water every day. I'm basically doing Atkins but less than 50g of carbs daily. Sorry my response is so long...just trying to make sure I answer all of your questions, lol. I'm here anytime you'd like to chat or need some support. The days I have my grandson, I don't check in until later in the day, but I'll always get back to you!

Edited by Trish1967