tracyringo

Cost of vitamins and minerals for Rny versus sleeve

6 posts in this topic

Just wondering the cost involved for the vitamins and minerals for both the Rny And the sleeve..I am just assuming they would be different but maybe not?

Thanks

Most surgeons recommend the same level of vitamin and mineral supplements for RNY gastric bypass and for the vertical sleeve. In any case, I buy all of my supplements at CVS and Walgreens on sale, and the cost per week is minimal.

In fact, my weight loss surgery has saved me lots of money as I eat much less. 

Gastric bypass is supposed to be double the daily recommended allowance (due to malabsorption)while sleeve patients only need the normal daily recommended allowance. What you need though really depends on your individual needs. My vitamin list has many items that it then says is only if the surgeon says they're needed. Once you can swallow normal tablets there's no necessity to buy expensive bariatric vitamins, although most surgeons recommend the chewable bariatric multivitamins immediately after surgery and many actually sell them out of their clinics.

My programme has RNY patients on 200% RDA multivitamins and DS and Band patients on 100% too.

Thank you...How much would you say you spend monthly?

25 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

Thank you...How much would you say you spend monthly?

Less than $10 per month. 

I spent a bit more in a first month after my surgery when I used chewable calcium citrate supplements from a bariatric vitamin company..