Kate21152

scared newbie

6 posts in this topic

Just wanted to say hello to all.   

I am going from a lapband to a sleeve.   Had my first nutritional class and it scared me a bit.  I am now questioning whether I want to go through with it.   

It sounds like I will be living off of veggies and beans for the rest of my life.   I am allergic to fish.   My question is after the sleeve can you eat meat/chicken/pork every so often?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.  

Kate

Welcome aboard! You will find a lot of helpful people here.

I am also in the phase of fulfilling my insurance requirements for getting the sleeve or RNY (Having difficulty making up my mind which would be best) I just finished my 3rd nut appt... Unless I am completely off base, any lean protein is acceptable unless of course you don't like it! Chicken, Beef, etc... its all good. Mind you, it will be a while before your new pouch will be able to tolerate it.

Others more informed than I will chime in I'm sure... :)

2 hours ago, Kate21152 said:

My question is after the sleeve can you eat meat/chicken/pork every so often?

Yes! We can eat all of those all the time! In fact, we're told to eat proteins like those FIRST at EVERY meal.

Welcome!

athenarose likes this

I have a gastric bypass and my diet is based on eating lean meat. You will not be giving up meat when you have weight loss surgery. 

What you will be giving up is junk food, large quantities of food, carbonated drinks, drinks with sugar in them, and high carb foods.

As the diet plan and vitamin needs for the sleeve and the gastric bypass are the exact same for most weight loss surgeons, you should find this guide from one of the best hospitals in Boston to be helpful on what to expect:

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

athenarose likes this

I am one month and three days post sleeve - and just enjoyed a tasty bowl of brown rice, black beans, 2 oz of grilled chicken, and guac! It was like a Chipotle bowl - only tiny. So have no fear - you will slowly be able to incorporate new foods into your diet. :)

Thank you all!  .....and exhale!  Very helpful and RELIEVING!

Surf23v1 likes this