sweetstuff

new clothes?

15 posts in this topic

When did you go out and buy new clothes? I was invited to a co-workers dinner and we are all wearing white dressy shirts! Well I do not have a dressy white shirt, so i went out to find one. Thought It would make me feel better by dressing up for a girls night out  !     NOPE !!!      I felt like every shirt I tried on made me look like I was wearing a white table cloth! it was bad!       SO my questions is when do you feel comfortable enough with your weight court to go shopping again?      my surgery is in (may 12th) 23 more days and counting! I am saving money for shopping too! excited and cant wait! We are trying to plan a family reunion in Nov. which is 6 mths from surgery date, is that a good time to shop for new stuff !

Jen581791 likes this

Is there really a wrong time to shop for new clothes :)

Personally as soon as what I had looked and felt too big I shopped for enough to get me through to the next size change.  The closer you get to goal the more fun it is!  If you like to shop anyway, and I realize not everyone does.  I don't understand it but I acknowledge that it exists lol.

You don't have to spend a lot to do that; lots of people shop thrift stores or good will during the active losing phase.  I personally don't have much luck (or more likely enough patience) with thrift stores, but did a lot of clearance and sales shopping.

Eventually everything you now own will be too big for you, including underwear, bras, even shoes.  OK, socks will still fit but other than that you will likely eventually need new everything.  It is amazing!!

Aussie H, athenarose and Jen581791 like this

I'm just wondering how to shop for clothes when I'm smaller. More choice and no idea what I like!

For me I did my first 'real' shop 6 months out, since nothing I had fit me lol. I was so excited I wanted to buy everything but my mom wisely advised me not to spend a lot, and buy non expensive stuff, because i would end up losing a lot more weight (she was totally right lol)

I started buying my 'real' clothing once i was about 9 months, ( though I did buy some very expensive jeans back in december and they dont even fit anymore! :/)

I know what you mean though! pre-op I bought an outfit that I wanted to fit into, turns out I surpassed it! But i think as soon as you leave surgery, everything excites you because it's like everyday your body is changing! Shopping becomes so much more exciting, especially when you can visualise yourself wearing clothes you never thought you would be able to! 

athenarose likes this

I'm trying to think back...if I remember correctly, I had several sizes of clothes that I went through before I actively started buying new clothes. Like a couple of the other posters mentioned, don't go overboard buying clothes in any given size as you'll be continually losing. It works well to shop at thrift shops, but I also had good luck at Target and Old Navy (the clearance section is your friend!). Only buy what you need because there's a good chance it'll be too big soon. And, fwiw, once you lose weight, you may find you have different issues when it come to shopping. For some reason (at least in my area), the stores don't have nearly enough extra-small and small items in stock.  I'm always excited when I can actually find something I like in the right size. It's a good problem to have, but frustrating all the same. 

Wow ! Thank you for the replies . Excited !  I LOVE SHOPPING !

I just was shocked to read, a few replies up that your shoe sizes changes ..... REALLY ?

How much change i own like 30 pairs of shoes !!! I did not think your feet would change  !

I wear a size 10 right now ! I am going to start a weight loss journal too, cause I want to read where I came from a year from now! 

:wub:

I wore a 10 pre-op and now wear a 9 or sometimes an 8 1/2.  I had lots of shoes that had to go away but that just gave me justification to shop!

sweetstuff and athenarose like this

As my husband will tell you, I may or may not be a bit of a shopaholic. I love clothes shopping. I fit into the cute clothes. I regularly hit thrift stores (I give myself a limit of what to spend), and I found an online thrift store that is awesome! http://www.thredup.com/r/JOQLUB - I went shopping well the first month really, just to get clothes to fit into, and then now my weight has stablized somewhat (I am 8 months out, but I'm no longer losing weight, which is fine, I may or may not continue to lose, but I am happy at what I am). I own a sewing machine, so I've had to tailor some clothes also. But really, it's a trip to go somewhere and fit into clothes you never dreamed of wearing. I have some small shirts that I fit into, going from a 3xl almost 4xl to a small is .. a complete shock. I say, do what you feel comfortable doing. Two weekends ago I went through and cleared out my closet from all of my bigger stuff and it felt amazing to do so. 

My shoe size hasn't really dropped, I am still around a 9, depending on where but my width is no longer the same, and my ring size dropped dramatically, I was size 10/11 in rings I am now size 6.5/7. That was my big mistake buying jewelry that now won't fit no matter what I do. 

Good luck, and congratulations on the journey! 

athenarose likes this

28 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

I wore a 10 pre-op and now wear a 9 or sometimes an 8 1/2.  I had lots of shoes that had to go away but that just gave me justification to shop!

Yep. I was a 10 pre-op and am now a 9.  Who'd have thought even our feet would get smaller?

7 minutes ago, Zyia said:

As my husband will tell you, I may or may not be a bit of a shopaholic. I love clothes shopping. I fit into the cute clothes. I regularly hit thrift stores (I give myself a limit of what to spend), and I found an online thrift store that is awesome! http://www.thredup.com/r/JOQLUB - I went shopping well the first month really, just to get clothes to fit into, and then now my weight has stablized somewhat (I am 8 months out, but I'm no longer losing weight, which is fine, I may or may not continue to lose, but I am happy at what I am). I own a sewing machine, so I've had to tailor some clothes also. But really, it's a trip to go somewhere and fit into clothes you never dreamed of wearing. I have some small shirts that I fit into, going from a 3xl almost 4xl to a small is .. a complete shock. I say, do what you feel comfortable doing. Two weekends ago I went through and cleared out my closet from all of my bigger stuff and it felt amazing to do so. 

My shoe size hasn't really dropped, I am still around a 9, depending on where but my width is no longer the same, and my ring size dropped dramatically, I was size 10/11 in rings I am now size 6.5/7. That was my big mistake buying jewelry that now won't fit no matter what I do. 

Good luck, and congratulations on the journey! 

I forgot about rings! My ring size went from a 7 (honestly probably bigger since I couldn't wear my wedding rings at my highest weight) to a 5.  When people say that everything shrinks, it's true. With such a massive weight loss, I think most of us have very little left from our pre-op lives that still fits once we hit goal (unless we resize it of course).

I also shopped my closet for a while, sometimes waiting too long to try the next size down and it ending up too big.

I waited over 100 pounds on dress pants since they had an elastic waist. My job went from business casual to casual so I just bought new jeans since I didn't really have enough anything that fit in the casual pants department. 

My feet are more narrow now so I've donated some shoes that the heels slip off.

I do need to get my wedding set sized but I'm waiting until closer to goal.

I totally understand not knowing what to buy, I was at Maurice's and the lady working told me I needed to look on the other side for jeans. The smallest plus was too big! 

athenarose and Res Ipsa like this

Posted (edited)

My jeans were so loose I wore belts.  I didn't want to invest a lot as I went down quickly.  I was a 24 and finally bought 3 pairs of 14.  I still get overwhelmed.  I shop mainly clearance racks.  Another suggestion, when you are rapidly losing, keep your receipts in bags when you buy new clothes.  By the time you get to wear them they may be too big.  It will be easier to return.  I didn't have luck with thrift shops; I find I can buy new clothes for what used ones cost by combing clearance racks;)

Edited by Cheesehead

I can't help myself when it comes to clothes shopping. While I was able to shop my closet up until now I have also purchased even more along the way. I feel better in clothes that fit. I just feel really daggy making do with baggy clothes. I need to be able to see myself in nice fitting clothes so I can see that my weightloss attempts are working. That said I only shop clearance stuff at the moment. Personally I can't envisage being a smaller size than I am now, because I'm as small as I ever have been in my adult life. So far shoes are the same length as always but I am a narrower foot. 

sweetstuff likes this

I was Sleeved Jan 18th, my wife bought me a pair of jeans in a smaller size for my birthday on March 3rd by April 1st they were too big....I'm glad its happening, didn't expect it to be so fast...

My waist size has gone from a snug 48" to a loose 40" and a 38" won't be too far behind. 

My formerly tight 4xl t-shirts just look silly on me now. 3xl' s are loose and comfortable....but for how much longer?

Before WLS, I always wore a hoody to hid the fact that most t-shirts just didn't fit my shape right.... too tight or because I was big around that made the shirt to short. I realized I don't really do that anymore, not to mention that all of my favorite hoodies are just to big now. 

I tried on a leather motorcycle jacket today I really liked, but I didn't buy it because I know it will be too big. I have NEVER had great luck with motorcycle jackets, the sizes are ALWAYS so vastly different from manufacturers on brands 4xl is another brands 7xl (today's was a 3xl) 

I have a 3000 mile motorcycle trip planned at the end on May so I want to make sure my riding gear fits....

At first I bought "skinny" clothes the way I bought maternity clothes... a pair of pants here, a shirt there... just bought a couple things as I needed them. I didn't buy anything expensive and kept it simple so that it was easy to mix and match. For my skinny clothes, when I would actually go out and get something I would pick the size that more snug so that in a few weeks it would loosen up as I lost more weight and I could wear it longer. So if it was between the L and the XL, if the L was close to fitting I just got that lol. I started real shopping about 9 months out. Goodluck and happy shopping soon!!!