Gin820

Feeling Irritated

13 posts in this topic

Ok, so I am here to vent today... Still pre-op. Working on month 1 of the 6 month diet requirement. I have legitimately been sticking to the diet. I'm watching the carbs. Blood sugar has been much better. I am only eating "real" food that is lean and healthy. Even the carbs are complex carbs. I had a primary care appointment yesterday. My doctor is thrilled with my blood sugar and very happy I am sticking to the diet. However, I am a pound higher than I was before I started! I know that weight fluctuates due to water retention, possible PMS, and a million other reasons. But I know I am trying and I am not seeing the scale move. My clothes still fit the same. I DO have more energy and that is great. But my NUT said I have to lose some weight, though there is not a set amount I need to lose.

I see my NUT again May 5th. I will discuss this with her then. But I really want to be at least a few pounds lighter by then. She did not give me a calorie count to stick to. So maybe I am eating too many calories? I track everything I eat. I measure it. I don't know what calorie count I should stick to. It doesn't help that I feel hungry ALL the time. I am getting plenty of protein with each meal.

The scale not moving is usually the reason I haven't stuck to a diet in the past. The scale never seems to move with me. I've tried every diet out there. I know surgery will help reset my metabolism and I'm becoming more and more convinced that surgery is my last resort and that it has be done.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheesehead likes this

Did they tell you how much you have to lose?  I'm right there with you, I'm in month 3 of my 6 mo program. "Lean meats and veggies only.'

I have been fairly successful at sticking to the requirements, but am only down about 8 lbs. Like you, my blood sugars have been fantastic.

The purpose of the 6-mo diet is to shrink your liver, if you didn't know. I wan't given a set number of pounds to lose, she just wants my liver as shrunken as I can get it by surgery day.

I would think it would be difficult to lose too much while still taking in carbs. I did the Atkins diet for the first time over twenty years ago, when no one had heard of him yet, and "low carb" was crazy talk. And many times since. I've learned that I simply don't lose very well, unless I'm consistently under 20 carbs a day. Some people have a higher tolerance though. 

I would say give it a little time and see what happens by the end of month 2 :-) 

Before I saw the NUT I was doing about 50 grams of carbs a day. She advised me to add more carbs since I'm diabetic. She said I wouldn't lose if I cut out carbs completely. But now I'm skeptical. I'm wondering I should go back to the 50 grams a day. So hard to know what to do.

How many calories a day are you eating? Have you had any diabetes problems since starting the diet?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Gin820 said:

Before I saw the NUT I was doing about 50 grams of carbs a day. She advised me to add more carbs since I'm diabetic. She said I wouldn't lose if I cut out carbs completely. But now I'm skeptical. I'm wondering I should go back to the 50 grams a day. So hard to know what to do.

How many calories a day are you eating? Have you had any diabetes problems since starting the diet?

Thanks.

Wow, I don't want to sound harsh, I am rather judgmental by nature an am trying to work on that :-)  But you should find a new NUT lol.

A low-carb diet is the preferred diet for T2 diabetics. No faster, better way to get control of your sugars than low-carb. So for this NUT to tell you to ADD carbs (sugar/glucose!!) to your diabetes (sugar/glucose problem!) makes no sense whatsoever. Most Type 2 diabetics can "cure" their diabetes, simply by adopting a consistent low-carb/high protein diet with exercise. 

Try limiting your carbs to 40 for a few days and see what happens. Then a few more, until you're losing satisfactorily. If you are on meds though, you will probably get to the point where you have to decrease your diabetes meds, because your diabetes will respond so well. 

My two cents anyways.

I agree. I think I'm stuck with this NUT because she is the one for my program. But that doesn't mean I can't lower the carbs. That's what I'm going to do and see how it works,

Thanks.

tmcgee likes this

8 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Wow, I don't want to sound harsh, I am rather judgmental by nature an am trying to work on that :-)  But you should find a new NUT lol.

A low-carb diet is the preferred diet for T2 diabetics. No faster, better way to get control of your sugars than low-carb. So for this NUT to tell you to ADD carbs (sugar/glucose!!) to your diabetes (sugar/glucose problem!) makes no sense whatsoever. Most Type 2 diabetics can "cure" their diabetes, simply by adopting a consistent low-carb/high protein diet with exercise. 

Try limiting your carbs to 40 for a few days and see what happens. Then a few more, until you're losing satisfactorily. If you are on meds though, you will probably get to the point where you have to decrease your diabetes meds, because your diabetes will respond so well. 

My two cents anyways.

This!

Your NUT sounds like a nut. Limit the carbs as much as possible. 50 is still high, IMO.

Gin820 and Havamal like this

Just now, Gin820 said:

I agree. I think I'm stuck with this NUT because she is the one for my program. But that doesn't mean I can't lower the carbs. That's what I'm going to do and see how it works,

Thanks.

Also maybe she is approaching from the viewpoint of, since you'll likely be off all diabetes meds shortly after surgery anyways, what's the point now of making dietary changes that would require you to have to adjust meds. Like, maybe she knows once you drop those carbs your blood sugar will drop as well, and meds will need adjusting. So maybe she's thinking, why deal with that. That's the only thing I can come up with. 

One thing you'll learn on this forum, people get some whacked advice from all over the medical spectrum :-)

Good luck my friend.

Gin820 and Res Ipsa like this

I totally understand that the pre-op diet, especially when it is six months long, is really frustrating. :angry: 

Hang in there, I have found that my life after a gastric bypass has been great. It is so worth it. 

tmcgee, LeeC and Gin820 like this

Pre op, I was only told not to gain weight.  I lost 7.  But with the meds I was on it was impossible to lose weight.  I took 3 different kinds (total of 6 pills) for diabetes alone.  Don't let it get you down.  I'm with Michael, ditch the carbs-being diabetic they aren't doing you any good.  Keep some glucose tablets handy in case you start noticing a drop in blood sugars till you can talk to a doctor.  Just my 2 cents..

Res Ipsa, Gin820 and tmcgee like this

Thanks for all your advice. Reading through this forum has really encouraged me. I am getting rid of the carbs and will monitor my sugar often. Today I only had 50 grams of carbs so I am moving in the right direction.

I can't wait to get to the other side.

Res Ipsa, Cheesehead and tmcgee like this

I have a really hard time losing if I'm still eating carbs, even complex ones. For my pre-op, I did a "no starch" low carb thing - no potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, or any other grains, so my meals were protein + veggies only. It really helps me not feel hungry, too. You could always give that a go for a few weeks and see how it treats you. Not that you should necessarily go against what your NUT says, but if you experiment and find something that works, that might be helpful. Like many have said, NUTs give a wide range of suggestions, which feels confusing :( 

Aussie H, Gin820 and Res Ipsa like this

10 hours ago, Gin820 said:

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat with a dietician I'm forced to use that has a cookie cutter approach to preop diet. While I can't just ditch her, I am doing what I know works for me and ignoring her instructions. Even more annoying to me is that her preop instructions are different to the surgeon's. I'm following the surgeon's instructions, which I told her about, and after surgery will be giving the surgeon the written instructions the dietician gave me. I also discussed this with the doctor and the anesthecist during my preop consultation so I could decide what the best plan was for me moving closer to surgery. They weren't particularly concerned as they could see I'd already lost a significant amount of weight pre-surgery.

Gin820 likes this

I'm on a 3 month pre op diet. I'm at 5 weeks tomorrow and I've lost 21.6 pounds so far. I'm basically doing Atkins. But I eat one egg and 1/4c chicken for breakfast, a frozen Atkins or Lean Cuisine meal for lunch and dinner (Dr's instructions) and I eat a cucumber for a snack. I stay between 750-850 calories per day and ALWAYS under 50g carbs. And I drink close to a gallon of water every day. I'm type 2 diabetic, and my sugars went from the 350-500 range to normal in 10 days. I actually have to carry glucose tabs with me now. I lose on average 4-4.5 pounds per week eating like this. But I have to stick to this diet exactly in order to lose what I'm losing. Cutting your carbs now can only help you. If you wait till after surgery, you run a higher risk of low sugars than if you do it now.

Res Ipsa, Michael_A, Gin820 and 1 other like this