Carina

How much do you walk in the first weeks?

Five days out. Just curious about your walking during the early period. I have severe knee arthritis, so walking distances is not my thing at all. I prefer riding my bike, which I have done twice briefly since I've been home. Of course I do walk around in the house, but not constantly.

Just now, Carina said:

Five days out. Just curious about your walking during the early period. I have severe knee arthritis, so walking distances is not my thing at all. I prefer riding my bike, which I have done twice briefly since I've been home. Of course I do walk around in the house, but not constantly.

I'll be in the same boat, only in my case it's a navicular fracture that refuses to heal and associated arthritis in my foot. The surgeon is fully aware of the issue though as I've been to consults in a cast with crutches, and moonboot at times. He's the one that insisted the bypass be done before the required foot surgery. I took the initiative to have a cortisone shot a couple of weeks ago just so I'll hopefully manage the required walks in the hospital. It'll be back to the exercise bike though when I get home.

I say this with a note that I don't have knee problems.  I was up and walking a few hours after surgery.  30 laps around the floor each of the two days I was in the hospital.  Not all at once but I had to 30 laps each day.  I was back to walking 30 minutes a day right away ...slowly at first but it soon it picked up the pace and wishing a week I was back to walking an hour a day.  Check with your doctor about the bike.  I think it will be okay for you.  

good luck 

I do not have knee or foot issues, so I have been walking about 45-55 minutes a day (about 5 days a week) ever since the day after I came home from the hospital. I live next to a big park and usually walk with other people so walking is a quite pleasant social event for me.

Almost as importantly, I try to lead an active lifestyle, so I take the stairs rather than an escalator or elevator whenever possible, volunteer to take out the trash or bring in the groceries rather than ask someone else to do it, and am happy to do almost anything to avoid sitting around. With all this activity, I find that I do not have to go to the gym, which is great as I hate gym exercising. 

The crucial thing is to be as active as you can be. It may not help much with weight loss, but it really helps with general health and toning your body. 

I normally go to a gym, and I'm looking forward to being able to do that again in a couple of weeks. 

I'll be honest- I didn't exercise at all. I was exhausted those first few weeks (really, the first two months or so), so I took it really easy. I worked out a ton pre-op and thought I'd do the same post-op. I wound up really focusing on changing my relationship with food and am just now starting to exercise again. I think it's fantastic if people choose to exercise as part of their weight loss program, but I also think the saying "six packs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym" is really true, so don't get down on yourself if you don't have enough energy to do all that you think you should be doing at this point. (Does that makes sense? I feel like that's a really jumbled run-on sentence, but I don't have the brainpower to be more articulate right now.)

I walk about 15 miles a week, nothing more than that. My new left knee two years ago made that possible,

When I first got out I was a drama queen.  I walked to get the excess gas out and that's about it.  Probably about 6 weeks out was when I really started to exercise.  I felt like crap for the first 6 weeks.  Now I do about 3 miles a day 5 times a week.  I feel like that's not excessive or sloth like.

Thanks, guys!

I walked a lot less initially than I had intended - I was tired really easily and got light-headed, so just short walks in the neighborhood. Now (9 weeks out) I've got a Fitbit and am trying to keep it happy by walking 3-5 miles a day, which feels good. I have had some knee problems in my life (torn ACLs in my more athletic youth), but I usually only feel them now when the weather is bad or I hike downhill too much. Looking forward to no knee pain when this weight is gone! Do you have access to a pool to exercise?

@Jen581791 Yes, but it's always crowded. <_< So far I'm puttering around in the house and getting on my bike for 15-20 minutes a day. I think that will have to do for now, provided I increase the biking time. I hope my knee pain will lessen as I lose weight, though with bone-on-bone arthritis it won't disappear completely. That's my next surgery: knee replacement.

15-20 minutes a day on a bike sounds pretty good for less than a week post-op! No, bone-on-bone arthritis won't go away, for sure, but wow, less to carry around will make a huge difference on knee replacement recovery (and probably on how your knees feel before replacement, as well).