Carina

Bothered by all the artificial sweeteners

Is anybody else bothered by getting all those artificial sweeteners on board? I look at it as a more or less necessary evil for the early weeks/months, but geez, that stuff's not good for you....

1 hour ago, Carina said:

Is anybody else bothered by getting all those artificial sweeteners on board? I look at it as a more or less necessary evil for the early weeks/months, but geez, that stuff's not good for you....

Just the thought of it bothers me too. It's not good for you, plus they taste awful, so I'm not looking forward to the liquid phase after surgery. I usually only drink water, never been a big soda or juice drinker AT ALL. And I can't stand the taste of Splenda, etc, so I think it's gonna suck having to drink stuff containing it. But the way I look at it, what I was doing to myself before I started this process was horrible for me, so a few weeks on artificial sweeteners isn't really going to do any damage...compared to what I would be doing if I kept on the way I was!

Yes! I try to substitute stevia any time I can. So creeped out by aspartame and the like. 

ICK...aspartame! That stuff is soooo bad for you!

Stevia is the bomb. I buy the huge Now brand jugs from Amazon, my wife cooks with it and I use it in my coffee at home. I always try to have some with me.

If you don't know, Stevia is a plant, so all natural. Very sweet.

If you buy some off the shelf though, check the ingredients. You want the pure stuff. LOTS of it is cut with Xylitol, Erytritol, and even sugar.

Edited by Michael_A

Stevia has kind of a weird aftertaste. Or am I the only one who thinks so?

I don't find stevia bitter, but I know a lot of people who do. I prefer it over scary artificial sweeteners.

My husband uses stevia, and he loves it. But he used to use Splenda and loved that too. It's not going to be a big issue for me after the first two weeks post op because I don't do sweet drinks and don't plan on eating any baked goods/sweets. I'm just dreading the time I have to eat/drink foods that contain any kind of artificial sweetner lol

1 hour ago, Carina said:

Stevia has kind of a weird aftertaste. Or am I the only one who thinks so?

Shop around for a different brand. Not all are the same, as far as how they're processed or extracted.

I don't use artificial sweeteners at all. I think they all taste disgusting and couldn't stand them post-op. I don't like stevia or any if the other "natural" alternatives either. They're definitely not a necessary evil for the first few weeks post-op. I guess I could've shaved a few calories off by using food with the fake sweeteners but since I really couldn't stand the taste and the amount I could eat was so small, I don't think it made much of a difference. All this to say, don't force yourself to eat them if you really don't like them. I survived the liquid post-op phase (and stayed on plan) without using artificial sweeteners or protein shakes, so it can definitely be done.

Pre-op, I didn't really like artificial sweeteners much. I just didn't like the idea of them, and I believe that they trick the body into responding as if it had actually had sugar (I feel the same after fake sugar as real sugar - it triggers cravings and makes me feel hungry), whether it's aspartame or sucralose or stevia.

Post-op, they taste nasty and bitter and chemically. I don't use them at all. Like @athenarose said, they're not really a necessary evil. My exception is protein shake mix - I have a shake most days, and it has sucralose it in (and tastes pretty icky), but it has so much protein! I imagine I'll transition off protein shakes pretty soon, but still use them for backup because as a mostly vegetarian (I've been eating fish occasionally in the last couple of weeks), it's harder to get as much protein as I'm supposed to. 

@athenarose could you share what you used for the liquid post-op phase?

It's healthier to use natural sugars. We eat such a small amount that substitutes aren't really needed. 

2 hours ago, Gretta said:

@athenarose could you share what you used for the liquid post-op phase?

For protein? I was allowed smooth yogurts & soups during my liquid phase so I used those and mixed in Unjury unflavored protein powder (just watch the temperature of the soup). I also used the unjury chicken broth. And I just drank plain water. The Camelbak with the bite valve was a huge lifesaver.  Boring and kind of limited, but it served it's purpose. 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, JulieW said:

It's healthier to use natural sugars. We eat such a small amount that substitutes aren't really needed. 

I honestly had never considered that this would be the case, lol. I've spent so many years on now avoiding sugar and using substitutes. But I think you're right.

At least since I reached my goal weight, I use real sugar in moderation as part of a balanced high protein maintenance diet. 

I love drinking the Bai drinks, so I have a good amount every day of their sweetener mixture (Stevia and Erythritol) with no ill effects. 

I love artificial sweeteners.  Saying that, I understand that I am basically saying that I love the devil.  I do.  I hate that I do.  I was highly addicted to diet coke before the surgery.  I had one the day before.  Yes I counted it as a clear liquid haha.  I now drink crystal light but am trying to find other options to harness that craving.  Uhhggg  Why do you taste to goo aspartame??  WHY??

18 minutes ago, Karimeaway said:

I love artificial sweeteners.  Saying that, I understand that I am basically saying that I love the devil.  I do.  I hate that I do.  I was highly addicted to diet coke before the surgery.  I had one the day before.  Yes I counted it as a clear liquid haha.  I now drink crystal light but am trying to find other options to harness that craving.  Uhhggg  Why do you taste to goo aspartame??  WHY??

I was totally addicted to Diet Pepsi before my surgery. I found after my surgery that I had trouble drinking plain water - it just felt "heavy."  

You ask about other options. My "go to" drinks now are Vitamin Water Zero (especially the Rise (orange), Revive (fruit punch) or lemonaid flavors) and non-carbonated Bai drinks (especially the clementine and the coconut flavored ones).  These drinks give me a sweet taste, very few or no calories, and I find that I can "chug" them down quite quickly. I also like unsweetened iced tea. 

A drink Milo's unsweetened tea every morning. I'm going to try some of the fruity drinks that you have suggested because I really need to move away from aspartame. Thanks

Most of the water "flavor enhancers' use sucralose. I've successfully eliminated all my carbonated drinks now, and get in 3-4 Camelbak 1L Eddy bottles a day. I do go easy on the enhancers, but that's what keeps me drinking so well.

Too much splenda gives me a headache, so I try to avoid it. In my days before I decided to have this surgery I drank lots of diet coke sweetened with splenda. Stevia is the sweetener I go to the most when I want to sweeten something. Finding it not cut with sugar alcohols like Xylitol is difficult. 

Whenever I'm in Japan, I notice that almost nothing has artificial sweeteners. I've seen Coke Zero at a hotel that caters to tourists, but that's it. Obesity is pretty unusual there, in spite of a rather starchy diet and fabulous bakeries everywhere you turn. Is there a connection between the lack of artificial sweeteners and the low rate of obesity? Maybe not, but it does make one think.

The best sweetner IMO is raw honey.  I prefer sage honey but any honey (lavendar, fireweed, etc) is great and takes very little add flavor.