Trish1967

Ugh...not the same as last time!

18 posts in this topic

I go for my first weigh in, since starting my pre op diet, this coming Thursday. It's been a month and I'm just shy of 20 pounds down. I feel good about the weight loss so far, but things are not happening like they did last time. I did my first pre op diet before my cancer diagnosis and having my thyroid removed. I went through the carb withdrawal, cravings, etc, for about 5 days. After that, I lost my appetite, no longer craved carbs, and had a pretty easy time of it. I was on the diet 13 weeks and lost 46 pounds before my "bumps" in the road. This time around, I'm doing exactly the same diet and drinking 12-16 cups of water per day. But I'm experiencing pretty severe headaches and I'm hungry all the time. Constantly. My blood sugars were really high before I started the diet (350's to 500's), and within 10 days they were in the normal range. But this time, I'm experiencing daily symptomatic blood sugar "lows"...meaning my sugar is in the 90's but I feel like it's in the 50's. I'm having to treat it with glucose tabs, which means extra carbs and calories. I will be speaking to my surgeon about this Thursday. I do think it all has something to do with having no thyroid and the fact that my replacement meds aren't regulated yet. I'm not posting this because I'm looking for medical advice. I just need a bit of encouragement though because I'm struggling quite a bit with depression over this. Have any of you gone through WLS after thyroidectomy? If so, was your experience anything like this? Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated!

I had a thyroidectomy due to cancer in 1998 and will be getting sleeved May 31. I have never experienced any of the blood sugar problems you're mentioning. I'm so sorry you're going through those ups and downs! I'm so impressed with your weight loss--in spite of glycose tabs, too! Amazing! I can't even smell sugar without gaining weight, so you should be really proud of yourself, frustrating as it is.

Trish1967 likes this

Posted (edited)

On April 17, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Gretta said:

I had a thyroidectomy due to cancer in 1998 and will be getting sleeved May 31. I have never experienced any of the blood sugar problems you're mentioning. I'm so sorry you're going through those ups and downs! I'm so impressed with your weight loss--in spite of glycose tabs, too! Amazing! I can't even smell sugar without gaining weight, so you should be really proud of yourself, frustrating as it is.

I'm so happy to hear you've been cancer free for so long! Such a blessing! I've been cancer free for one year :) I've been diabetic for 4 years now, and the initial drop in my sugars after starting the diet was expected, but the continued low symptoms are unexpected and quite unnerving. I have a 4 month old grandson that I care for 5 days a week, and the symptoms get so bad some days I'm afraid I may faint while holding him. I didn't experience anything even close to this last year when doing the pre op diet the first time. I also had a bad parathyroid removed and I just have a weird feeling that has something to do with this. Thank you for saying such kind words, they mean a lot. I don't take the glucose tabs unless I'm babysitting. When I'm not I just try and ride it out. It is very frustrating, for sure!! I was having a rediculously hard time when I posted earlier, so I thank you so much for your reply  :wub:

Edited by Trish1967

Hi, I don't have any experience with thyroid problems, but I just wanted to say that it's so great that you're going back to WLS after having such a significant bump in the road. Your progress is impressive (20 pounds in a month!?) and just the fact that you're sticking with your goal and going for it is so nice to hear :) Of course, make sure to talk to your doctor about your issues, but I think you should give yourself a pat on the back for being persistent!

Trish1967 likes this

Happy we're both cancer-free and on the path to success! I hope you keep us posted as you figure it all out. Hugs.

Trish1967 likes this

I had a thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer about 5 years prior to my sleeve. I don't think the difference in your weight loss experience pre and post your surgery is imagined. For such a small gland it has an enormous impact on our metabolism. It takes a while to get your thyroid hormone properly balanced and regulated. I'd suggest not measuring your current attempts with the previous one. You're doing so great. Don't let this get to you. A year from now, this challenge will all be a distant memory.

Trish1967 likes this

8 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Hi, I don't have any experience with thyroid problems, but I just wanted to say that it's so great that you're going back to WLS after having such a significant bump in the road. Your progress is impressive (20 pounds in a month!?) and just the fact that you're sticking with your goal and going for it is so nice to hear :) Of course, make sure to talk to your doctor about your issues, but I think you should give yourself a pat on the back for being persistent!

Hi :) I had intended on proceeding with my WLS after having both thyroid surgeries and radiation last year, but to be honest, my body was just too tired, and I'd lost my motivation for a while. Then my grandson came along in November, so... beautiful baby=renewed motivation! I am very persistent once I set my mind on something, and now that I'm back on the saddle I'm here for good! Thank you for the compliment about the weight loss so far...I've been white knuckling it for the past few days and needed to post yesterday because I was near tears because of how much harder this has been the second time around. And this group was always so supportive in the past, it really helps to hear the positive stuff when the going gets rough! Thank you so much!!

Jen581791 and LeeC like this

8 hours ago, Gretta said:

Happy we're both cancer-free and on the path to success! I hope you keep us posted as you figure it all out. Hugs.

Thyca survivors are tough...we can do this!! I will definitely be posting more on the days I'm baby free, and hopefully I'll know more after Thursday's visit and weigh in. My bariatric surgeon is going to see if we can "bypass" (pun intended, lol) some of the clearances I had last year, such as gastro and psych, since I had both colonoscopy/endoscopy, and stress test/cath last year...and passed the psych eval with flying colors. Hopefully that will speed up the process and I can shrink my liver enough to get a surgery date sometime at the end of May or early June. Hugs to you too!!

Trish, my date is May 31. We'll really be able to support each other! Hooray!

Trish1967 likes this

14 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Trish, my date is May 31. We'll really be able to support each other! Hooray!

Yes, we can absolutely support each other! I hope I can get a surgery date close to yours :) Even if it's a few weeks after, I can talk you through your rough spots post op, and you will be able to talk me through mine since you will be ahead of me! Lol 

Sounds perfect!

Trish1967 likes this

:D

On April 18, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Gretta said:

Sounds perfect!

Our surgeries are 2 weeks apart!! I'm so excited!! Losers bench, here we come!! :) 

Time is going to fly! I'm excited for us!

Trish1967 likes this

I'm excited too!! It is going to fly... There are so many appointments the next 3 weeks it'll keep me busy, lol :D

On April 17, 2017 at 11:48 PM, Jabsie said:

I had a thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer about 5 years prior to my sleeve. I don't think the difference in your weight loss experience pre and post your surgery is imagined. For such a small gland it has an enormous impact on our metabolism. It takes a while to get your thyroid hormone properly balanced and regulated. I'd suggest not measuring your current attempts with the previous one. You're doing so great. Don't let this get to you. A year from now, this challenge will all be a distant memory.

Thank you so much for that! I've been trying not to let it get to me. It was hard at first, because last time I lost 12 pounds the first week. That's kind of hard to follow, lol. But over the past week or so I had to take a step back and tell myself...you're losing, you're losing a decent amount, and you're losing it pretty quickly. Forget last year. I'm calming down about it now. Plus my hunger and cravings are FINALLY starting to subside, which is really helping! But you are right...I don't believe the differences are imagined. You can't really appreciate how important your thyroid truly is until you don't have one any longer. My hormones still aren't regulated, so I'm just happy I'm losing anything! Have you been cancer free the entire 5 years? Did you do the RAI? I asked my surgeon if he had any patients that have gone through thyroidectomy prior to WLS, and he said no.

Jabsie likes this

11 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Thank you so much for that! I've been trying not to let it get to me. It was hard at first, because last time I lost 12 pounds the first week. That's kind of hard to follow, lol. But over the past week or so I had to take a step back and tell myself...you're losing, you're losing a decent amount, and you're losing it pretty quickly. Forget last year. I'm calming down about it now. Plus my hunger and cravings are FINALLY starting to subside, which is really helping! But you are right...I don't believe the differences are imagined. You can't really appreciate how important your thyroid truly is until you don't have one any longer. My hormones still aren't regulated, so I'm just happy I'm losing anything! Have you been cancer free the entire 5 years? Did you do the RAI? I asked my surgeon if he had any patients that have gone through thyroidectomy prior to WLS, and he said no.

I did choose to have the RAI and have been cancer free since :-)

Trish1967 likes this

3 hours ago, Jabsie said:

I did choose to have the RAI and have been cancer free since :-)

I did also, and I'm glad I chose to do it :) Blessings to you and praying for you to remain cancer free!

Jabsie likes this