Aussie H

2 weeks to surgery and I have the flu!!!!

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

3 weeks ago today I had a flu shot so I wouldn't be risking the flu come surgery day, but today it seems I have it full on. Congestion, runny nose and coughing up fluid from my lungs, thankfully still clear. I've never had this reaction before with flu jabs, but suspect this time my defences are probably low due to already being on my liquid pre-op diet. I have managed to schedule an appointment with my family doctor for tomorrow, but would value any input into what I might be able to do to prevent this moving further into my lungs. Anyone have any sure fire remedies to get past this. Any suggestions need to take into account that I am currently on my pre-op optifast regime so there isn't really a lot of room to move food wise.

Very much hoping this is just a minor glitch and that my body will fight this off very quickly

Edited by Aussie H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start taking mega doses of vitamin C!  

Trish1967 and Aussie H like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a cold they won't do the surgery try to rub Vicks on ur chest drink medicine hope you feel better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rest, over the counter cold meds, and as much water as you can tolerate. Could be more short lived than you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out it wasn't the flu afterall...it's bronchitis. With just over 2 weeks before surgery the doctor thinks I may get it sorted in time with antibiotics. Fortunately have already had my pre-op testing or else it would have been cancelled for sure.

Only time will tell now whether I end up with yet another delay or whether it's 3rd time lucky.

LeeC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I'm sorry about your bad luck. Rest and antibiotics will be your friends!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Carina said:

Wow, I'm sorry about your bad luck. Rest and antibiotics will be your friends!

Thanks. I've decided to spend tomorrow in bed, and am there now. It all of 7 pm here. I pulled out the vaporiser that we had for my son 20 years ago and just decided to throw everything at this. If surgery gets cancelled, then from my point of view it won't be from lack of trying to beat this infection.

The tough part is that being on what really amounts to around a 700 calorie/day pre-op diet, I just don't have any energy in reserve to fight this. Whatever will be will be though and I'm a great believer that everything happens for a reason even if we never know what the reason might be. 

Res Ipsa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel better soon i just got over bronchitis not to long ago so i know how your feeling. Get lots of rest and drink plenty of water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ktallon said:

Feel better soon i just got over bronchitis not to long ago so i know how your feeling. Get lots of rest and drink plenty of water. 

Thanks. Taking loads of vitamin c, cold and flu tablets, antibiotics and some other tablets the doctor told me to take that supposedly loosen up the mucus. The water from swallowing all that is enough to flood the system. Also using a misting fan during the day when it's hot here, plus a humidifier (with Vicks) at night to keep the air moist. The downside is that being on the pre-op liquid diet the prescribed shakes are milk based so that acts to harden the fluid causing the problem. Plus the pre-op diet is ketogenic which acts to dehydrate the body, also the opposite of what is needed.

That said I feel better today although that could just be the cold and flu tablets doing their job. Still have two weeks to go so hopefully I'll get past this.

LeeC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling any better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gretta said:

Feeling any better?

I am feeling a lot better, but clearly not where I need to be yet. Mornings are the worst, and given my hospital checkin is at 7am I still have a fair way to go before any anesthecist would let me slip through for surgery. I know it's for my own good, but if delayed it would be the third time. I'm already second guessing my decision to have this revision, and I suspect another delay might just be the excuse I need to back right out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you're improving. You're so well-informed, I know you'll make the right decision for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gretta said:

I know you'll make the right decision for yourself.

I wish I had the same confidence in myself. Can't help wondering if the heavens are trying to send me a message.....or if it just my 88 year old mother sticking pins in a voodoo doll hoping whatever happens will stop me having a surgery she really doesn't want me to have. 

Trying to convince myself that the heavens wanted this to happen or they wouldn't have sent the bariatric surgeon into my life in such an unexpected but timely fashion. Therefore it probably is just my mother, and having always been a defiant daughter this isn't the time to finally become compliant!!! Haha!!!

Res Ipsa and LeeC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now