Jan66

Looking for a buddy Uk or USA

Recommended Posts

Joined the site today ,found the forums really interesting ,would now like to share with buddies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum. You are pretty much surrounded by buddies here lol....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jan66 said:

Joined the site today ,found the forums really interesting ,would now like to share with buddies

 

1 hour ago, Jan66 said:

Joined the site today ,found the forums really interesting ,would now like to share with buddies

Hi Jan - I'm in Uk - very happy to share experiences with you and we can support one another

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jan! I'm only a month into my new RNY life. I would love a buddy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what's wrong with an Australian buddy????? Haha!!! Just joking, welcome to the forum Jan66!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Aussie H ,I thought this was mainly USA ,nothing wrong with Australian buddie ,love it x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Brittneyanna would be great to become buddies ,how are things going ?

im a week post op today ,feeling great ,no pain side effects alls good x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow Southmeader!

Haven't had my surgery yet but would be happy to be your buddy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ,it's so unusual to find someone in uk let alone just down the road !

How you feeling about surgery, I can honestly say had a real positive experience at Southmead and everything so far has gone so well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi how's it going ! 

Been thinking of you and your up coming date ,are you getting nervous /excited .

Hows the diet going ,it does get better I promise x

hope to hear from you 

Jan x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jan! Im sorry I thought I responded to this before but I seemed to have not saved the post!

Im doing ok with the pre-op diet. Have been on it for nine days no. My tummy still rumbles a lot but I am not getting any more headaches or hunger pain. I'm more expectant then nervous or excited. I know after surgery there might be a lot of pain and its going to be hard. I think I am more just trying to get myself prepared for that!

How are you getting on?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fine. ,all I can say is that I had no pain as such afterwards,I was up walking around and had no pain melds after .im no super hero but just didn't need any ,I was surprised and thought I would feel terrible but I can honestly say I felt great considering what surgery I had done .

your be great ,promise ,just days to go so exciting xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning ,

I just wanted to wish you good luck for today ,I will be thinking of you x

Exciting times ahead :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a very successful surgery yesterday. At home now just sipping away.

How are you getting on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, like_rain_to_sea said:

Had a very successful surgery yesterday. At home now just sipping away.

How are you getting on?

gosh, that was very speedy!!!!!!   Home already - how are you feeling?:)  Cath x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, like_rain_to_sea said:

Had a very successful surgery yesterday. At home now just sipping away.

Great news!!  Welcome to the losers bench. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing really well ,have my first check up this week.

so pleased all went well, like they say just keep sipping and walking .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, CZJ said:

gosh, that was very speedy!!!!!!   Home already - how are you feeling?:)  Cath x

Thanks Cath! I'm quite lucky as my surgeons aim to keep people only over night because they feel people will better recuperate at home.

I'm feeling okay today. Better then I thought I would for sure. Like Jen I haven't had to have much pain killers. Don't want to take then if I dont need them!

Could probably do better on my water intake but just trying to take it one step at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, like_rain_to_sea said:

Thanks Cath! I'm quite lucky as my surgeons aim to keep people only over night because they feel people will better recuperate at home.

I'm feeling okay today. Better then I thought I would for sure. Like Jen I haven't had to have much pain killers. Don't want to take then if I dont need them!

Could probably do better on my water intake but just trying to take it one step at a time.

I imagine its quite a challenge to get enough water down - one step at a time sounds like a good plan.  Do you mind if I ask if they gave you something before your surgery to relax you?  I'm sure I'm going to feel terrified.  Iam self funding, so I don't know whether this will make any difference.  Did you get any stocks in for your recovery? Protein drinks, low cal drinks?  what are we allowed I wonder.

So pleased you are doing so well - I guess you feel very relieved the surgery is all over with:)

do you know how long your op took?  Iam having a lap band to bypass revision so I'm thinking that this will take some time.

Sleep well tonight sweetheart and thanks for all your answers X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jan66 said:

I'm doing really well ,have my first check up this week.

so pleased all went well, like they say just keep sipping and walking .

How are you feeling now Jan?!!!!  Youre back at work aren't you? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CZJ said:

I imagine its quite a challenge to get enough water down - one step at a time sounds like a good plan.  Do you mind if I ask if they gave you something before your surgery to relax you?  I'm sure I'm going to feel terrified.  Iam self funding, so I don't know whether this will make any difference.  Did you get any stocks in for your recovery? Protein drinks, low cal drinks?  what are we allowed I wonder.

So pleased you are doing so well - I guess you feel very relieved the surgery is all over with:)

do you know how long your op took?  Iam having a lap band to bypass revision so I'm thinking that this will take some time.

Sleep well tonight sweetheart and thanks for all your answers X

I had my revision just over a week ago CZJ, so I can answer your questions as things were for me. Mine was Gastroplasty to RNY. Gastroplasty was the original stapling surgery, restrictive only surgery. I've had no issues at all getting water down since surgery. I wasn't offered anything pre-surgery to calm the nerves. I was in the OR within 75 minutes of arrival at the hospital so didn't really have time to get nervous beforehand, but I also knew exactly why I was having my surgery and had complete faith in my surgeon. I was surprised to be greeted by a different surgeon, but knew of him as he'd dealt with my husband in the year before he died. Both surgeon's do a lot of GI surgery as well as being bariatric surgeons. My husband had a lot of respect for this surgeon so I just put myself into a place of Zen like contentment. It turned out I was having not only my surgeon who was the head bariatric surgeon at the major teaching hospital, but also the 2IC of bariatric surgery. It took the two surgeons almost 4 hours to complete my surgery. There was a lot of scar tissue and adhesions for them to deal with, and the adhesions had done a good job of ripping my omentum. The surgeon said they took the time to fix what they could, but portions were so damaged they just removed those bits. While I had purees etc already made before my surgery, I did buy in whey protein isolate flavoured water, along with low sugar electrolyte ice blocks. I also bought in some iceblock moulds to make my own if necessary, as we can't get sugar free where I live. I haven't had any issues drinking fluids though so haven't used any of them except the flavoured protien water which is an easy grab and go item.

Good luck moving ahead on your surgery planning. That to me was the hardest part so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Aussie!!!  thanks for your reply - good to know you are getting your water down!!  Interesting to read that you had gastroplasty - does that work by making the stomach smaller?  What was it about bypass that inspired you?

I originally had a band fitted, and had very limited success with this as it allowed me to eat rubbish, whilst making eating of healthy stuff very tricky!!  so, I'm hoping for better results with the bypass and will 'welcome' dumping if I dare to misbehave:o

How are you feeling?!!  Are you sleeping ok and did you have much in the way of pain relief immediately after?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CZJ said:

Hi Aussie!!!  thanks for your reply - good to know you are getting your water down!!  Interesting to read that you had gastroplasty - does that work by making the stomach smaller?  What was it about bypass that inspired you?

I originally had a band fitted, and had very limited success with this as it allowed me to eat rubbish, whilst making eating of healthy stuff very tricky!!  so, I'm hoping for better results with the bypass and will 'welcome' dumping if I dare to misbehave:o

How are you feeling?!!  Are you sleeping ok and did you have much in the way of pain relief immediately after?

Gastroplasty predated the band, but I guess the band is what it was most similar to except it wasn't adjustable. Mine was done in 1986. In that surgery they just placed a staple line across the top part of the stomach leaving a small opening between the pouch and the remnant stomach. No stomach tissue was removed in this surgery and no intestinal changes. The reason for my revision was that the opening in the staple line scarred over completely which meant that the staple line blew out. Turns out that was pretty normal and most patients had their surgery revised within a few years. According to my surgeon, survivors of that original surgery are pretty thin on the ground, and the technique was changed not long after my surgery when they started doing vertical banded Gastroplasty (VBG).

As for my insiration to bypass...i wasn't inspired at all.....I never went looking for revisional surgery. I was having regurgitation issues and sought medical help. The visiting GI surgeon at my local hospital the week I had my first endoscopy just happened to be the head bariatric surgeon of a major teaching hospital in my state. He realised what the likely cause was before he even scoped me. Apart from bypass the only other option was to have the original surgery reversed by doing a gastrectomy to remove the old staple line then rejoin the pouch and remnant stomach together. The reversal would have been the surgeon's initial choice. As it turned out the surgeon discovered on the pre-op endoscopy months later that there wasn't enough tissue between the lower oesophageal sphincter and the stapleline to be able to rejoin the pouch and the stomach. The only surgical option was to do a complete bypass which would then necessitate a gastrectomy of the old scar tissue from the new remnant stomach. It was an extremely well planned surgery with many bariatric surgeons consulted along the way due to most surgeons having never seen let alone had to deal with my previous surgery type.

I slept fine, on my side in my bed 3 days after surgery. I do still have some pain relief tablets that I only use at night if needed. I admit that I do tend to overdo stuff during the day and that's most likely the cause of the evening pain, but hey I live alone and someone's got to do what needs doing. For the most part though I feel pretty good. My abdomen does get a bit cross with me though when I wear (even too large) pants. Annoying because it's cold here in the southern hemisphere and pants are all I have. Everyday gets a bit better though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi CZJ ,I'm doing really well.I went back to work a week after surgery ,the gym too ! Been really lucky ,no complications and only one hiccup but that was minor ,bowels lol 

Things are getting easier ,soft diet ,now and no bad experiences still try and keep up the water intake which helps .

So pleased I had it done , second chance been given the tool so now it's up to me to make the most of it :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds great - very impressed that you were back in the gym at 1 week!!!!    What sort of laxative are we allowed to prevent/deal with bowel probs? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now