Carina

Two days out

11 posts in this topic

Hi friends, finally posting an update.

I came home yesterday after less than 24 hours in the hospital. Kind of freaked out when I got home: probably the anesthesia, discomfort etc. Cried a couple of times. I took an oxycodone and got to sleep on that. Sleeping and being able to eat some today have really helped. 

So far (it's 6 pm) I've had a total of about a cup of homemade tomato soup, plus yogurt and unsweetened applesauce. And a scrambled egg, so delicious. About 20 grams of protein so far and ok with the fluids, I think. My hospital is different from a lot of what I read here: we're allowed to eat most things right away as long as they're puréed and in a very small serving.

I've had a lot of gurgling but thank goodness no feeling of nausea. Sure hope it stays that way.

No real pain except from the wounds when I move wrong. And my belly feels very full.

The anticoagulant shots are a cinch.

I do have a strange feeling now: this (weight loss) is going to happen and I can't do anything about it.

Cheesehead likes this

Wow, awesome update! Thanks for mentioning the shots will be easy. I'm totally freaked about those. You're already handling egg. Amazing! 

Wow I'm really surprised they're letting you have soup and eggs right now? Seem like I recall most programs require clear liquids for a few days or a week. Someone correct me...

Looking forward to hearing over the next few days how you find your various sleeping positions to be. What's comfortable and what's not.

It is great news to hear that you are home and doing OK. Do not rush solid foods, as your poor system has to recover from major surgery. Hang in there, make sure that you get enough liquids, and get ready for the amazing journey of life after weight loss surgery. :)

9 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

It is great news to hear that you are home and doing OK. Do not rush solid foods, as your poor system has to recover from major surgery. Hang in there, make sure that you get enough liquids, and get ready for the amazing journey of life after weight loss surgery. :)

No solid foods (e.g. not pureed) for two weeks.

30 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Wow I'm really surprised they're letting you have soup and eggs right now? Seem like I recall most programs require clear liquids for a few days or a week. Someone correct me...

Looking forward to hearing over the next few days how you find your various sleeping positions to be. What's comfortable and what's not.

No, I think you're right; that's what I meant about this hospital doing things differently. In the hospital we got clear fluids the evening and night after surgery. If that went well, we got a small yogurt the next morning. We weren't required to eat it all, but we had to eat some of it to see how that went. 

We're allowed to eat pretty much anything, but it absolutely has to be pureed. I even pureed the egg. :-) I'm going to stick with bland stuff for now, but it's nice to be able to get protein in relatively easily.

We have an appointment two weeks after the surgery date to let us know how to start on solid foods.

40 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Wow, awesome update! Thanks for mentioning the shots will be easy. I'm totally freaked about those. You're already handling egg. Amazing! 

Yes, the shots are really easy. It's a short needle and not much medication to push in. You can do it!

Thanks! I really hope I can!

Great to hear you're home and doing well! 

Funny how different doctors have such different rules and guidelines. I guess it all works out in the end. Just keep doing what they tell you to :) 

Tale it easy and take good care of yourself - I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

Welcome to the losers bench Carina!

On 16-4-2017 at 8:43 PM, Michael_A said:

@Michael_A Well, time for champagne: I slept on my side last night! That was night 4. Up until then I had to sleep on my back, either half sitting or lying down. I think that was one reason I had so many headaches.

CZJ likes this