CZJ

Where do I go after band failure?

6 posts in this topic

Banded 8 years and finally wanting it revised. Even when all but empty it wont allow me to eat sensibly, only certain foods slider foods.  Struggled with a piece of steamed fish recently, 3 mouthfuls sent me to the bathroom. So frustrating.  I need to hear from you about the wls choices you made and why they work for you please.

I had the Roux-En-Y bypass because I wanted to lose the most weight that I could and keep it off.  I am almost 15 months post op and feel so much better (even when I'm tired I'm not exhausted).  I take my vitamins, eat protein, drink water, watch my carbs and walk (and walk and walk) and it's all good.  I had two ounces of ham and two slices of potato au gratin for Easter dinner today (that's 2 little slices of potato and a small bit of sauce).  It tasted great.  My bariatric team told me (at a year post op) that I had gone from a 10 year life expectancy with increasing health problems to a 20 year life expectancy and I have a greater chance of dying from an accident than from the many health problems associated with morbid obesity.   

CZJ likes this

Hi Lee - thanks so much for your wise words - the Roux-En-Y is the method used to reduce stomach capacity and also reduce absorbtion am I correct - 20z ham and 2 slices of potato sounds so little to eat - do you feel satisfied with that amount or do you have to battle hunger pangs?  I would love to exercise properly again, and I did ballet until I was 20wks pregnant with my 2nd child and would love to go back to this again.  Partly its an injury that prevents me from getting exercise (though, I do swim)and partly because I'm so heavy now.  it certainly sounds like you've had great success with your choice - what is it about this op that you think has helped the most.  Looking forward to hearing your reply - many thanks to you Lee

Alexa21 likes this

CZJ you are correct, Roux En Y/ gastric bypass first creates a small pouch at the top of your stomach, that becomes your "new" stomach. It starts out being the size of a golf ball and only able to hold about 2 oz. IN addition, your intestines are rerouted/shortened so that your food is "malabsorbed", that is to say that your body is not pulling as much of the nutrients, carbs, and calories out of the food. So gastric bypass works by restricting, and by malabsortion. 

With the vertical sleeve on the other hand, about 75% of the stomach is removed, and what is left becomes a narrow sleeve. Everything else is left alone. So the sleeve works by restriction.

Bypassers tend to loose faster, and sometimes more, than sleevers. Sleevers can experience severe heartburn issues, where bypassers generally do not. Gastric bypass does something magical to the hormone levels of the body that, almost instantly upon completion of surgery, returns blood sugar levels to normal. For this reason, bypass is generally recommend to people with Type 2 diabetes (I myself am pursuing it for this reason). Bypass is a more complicated procedure however and generally requires a couple nights in the hospital. The sleeve is less complicated, and sleevers are usually out of the hospital the next day. Bypass has been performed much longer than the sleeve, but the sleeve is quickly becoming the operation of choice for a large group of people.

Since bypassers are malabsorbed, they must be committed to a lifetime of taking vitamins. But I believe most surgeons recommend a vitamin regimen for their sleeve patients as well. Both groups must pay close attention to, primarily, their protein intake every day. "Protein is king" as they say and both groups have to ensure that they take in an adequate amount every day. 

I would say that if diabetes is now an issue for you, or your blood levels show that you are heading that way, then gastric bypass may be a good choice. If not, and you have no issues with heartburn/GERD, and like the idea of a shorter recovery, then perhaps the sleeve. Either way, do your research. Continue to ask your questions as you have here, and talk it over with your GP/PCP/surgeon.

Alexa21 likes this

thanks so much for your encouraging words Michael - you sound very informed and on the ball.  High BP is a problem for me and as I store most of my body fat around my middle I feel that diabetes could become a feature if I fail to address this now.  Struggled for the past 20 years,  Tried WW, Slimming world VLCDs across that time and always regain.  Banded a few years ago, struggled with that since it wont allow me to eat sufficient good food, so I'm left hungry.  I do know what I need to eat but its eating enough that eludes me.  You've given me some great info here Michael and yeah I want to research - do you have any pointers as to best websites for this, I don't seem to be getting very far, apart from hitting on this forum - I really appreciate your time and thoughts - tell me about your story would you?

CZJ,

I have no stomach acid and therefore no hunger pain (so I chew thoroughly to aid digestion). Depending on the density of  the food (ham is dense, jello is not) I can eat 2 to 4 ounces at a time. I know real fast if I am overeating because my nose starts to run.  Hope this helps you.