Miss A

Scheduled and Scared

I'm ending my 3-month program this month and have scheduled my surgery for July (delayed for work reasons.) I'm excited but still pretty scared about this new reality I'm committing to. 

Scared about dehydration, not getting enough protein, losing TOO much, changing physically but not psychologically, not being able to avoid wine & cocktails, not being able to socialize "normally", going back to work after two weeks, surviving the first few months, regaining a year or two afterwards.

Excited about getting the obesity monkey off my back, taking the stress off my skeleton, fitting in chairs, wearing cute clothes, dressing for fun not for coverage, not being constantly self conscious, having more energy, having the confidence to try new things, not having deep bra strap grooves on my shoulders, crossing my legs with ease and for longer than a minute or two, go on amusement park rides again!!!!

Thankful for this group and the weight loss surgery community who are so supportive, open, honest, and helpful :) Thank you!

I think all your fears and hopes are normal and valid. I'll go first (May 31),  you can ask me anything, & I'll be totally honest about what's worth being afraid of and what's not. We can do it! I'm more scared of NOT doing it at this point.

Hi Miss A, 

After my surgery I thought I was nuts. (My family may say I was nuts pre-surgery though). Fear is normal. For many of us, and perhaps you, however, inaction is not an option.  Have had exactly the same set of fears you had! 

Now I think I carefully weighed the options and did the right thing. I am SO happy to be losing weight and able to do so much more. Never had problems with hydration and the super-duper protein drinks help with the getting-enough-protein issue (I am still using Premier Plus, bought in quantity at Costco, 2 boxes a day = 60 grams of protein).  Just plan. Was I worried? Sure. 

Be calculating. Predictors of success are social support, dietary adherence, exercise, and getting any psych issues treated. Weight regain is predicted by an absence of exercise, lack of support, untreated psych issues, and dietary non-adherence/snacking. So before your surgery work on each of these and you can feel reassured you have the right assets in place. This is not rocket science, it is a personal journey with some common-sense issues to face into. Plenty of success. 

I've joined a post-op group now, just as I joined this site, to interact with others in a community. Lots of suggestions about how to deal with social life and alcohol and all that. One woman (she had a Roux-en-Y) is about 10 years out, fit as a fiddle, looks great, and goes out to eat with friends 5-6 times a week including having some wine. She just has rules and stays within her boundaries. I listen very carefully to her. 

Fear is completely normal, as is second guessing your decision. Ive spent the majority of my pre-op time practising the things I need to do post operatively. I've also taught myself to put aside in my head what I'm going into, so I really don't think or talk about my upcoming surgery any more than I need to now. I'm definitely NOT counting down the days. Time seems to go quicker for me that way!!! One day soon I'm going to wake up and the surgery will be behind me. Life won't change all that much because I've already made those changes I'd otherwise need to make. I'm realistic enough to know the first few weeks will be very different, but I also know that won't last very long either.

Best of luck finding a way to move forward without too much stress.