Lynettski

Minimizer ring- yes or no?

I am due for surgery on 24th April and have said yes to the minimizer ring. It's the only aspect of the surgery that is freaking me out a bit. Can anyone tell me how they made the decision to go with (or not go with) the ring and if it has made a difference, good or bad?

What's a minimizer ring?

It's a relatively new addition to sleeve gastrectomy, where a silicone band (like a cable tie) is placed permanently around the tube just before the stomach, potentially to limit stretching and potentially decrease possibility of regain.

I'd be interested in Dr. Callery's take on this. Maybe post this on the Ask a Doctor section of this board.

Here is a further description and diagram of a minimized ring:

http://bariatricsolutions.com.au/banded-sleeve-gastrectomy/

My concern about such a ring would be whether it could really last for decades or instead would need to be replaced/fixed surgically like almost all gastric bands. Also, I would worry that it could increase the risk of GERD or reflux. These are good topics to discuss with your surgeon.  

From what I can tell, the ring currently seems to be used almost only in Australia. 

7 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

From what I can tell, the ring currently seems to be used almost only in Australia. 

It's a band over sleeve from the sounds of it. I'd be very disinclined to go that route. If the reason given to apply one is to reduce pouch stretching then it's a bogus add on. Pouches for sleeves stretch very little because the most elastic part of the stomach is removed in the VSG procedure. Any banding or added mesh in the past has caused long term complications in many cases.