Raddy

No supplements at all!

10 posts in this topic

I'm due for gastric sleeve surgery on Tuesday. I'm a bit concerned because my surgeon is saying that I shall not be requiring any supplements at all, ever! Said I'll be able to get all the required nutrients through diet alone. Should I be concerned?

Yes, you should. I say supplement anyway. It can't hurt and it could help a lot. Ask Dr. Callery in the Ask a Doctor section of this board for his recommendations for supplements.

Thanks Gretta. Will do that.

Most weight loss surgeons recommend the same level of supplements for their sleeve patients as for their gastric bypass patients. Thus, you may find the vitamin section in this gastric bypass patient guide to be helpful. 

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

Raddy likes this

Thanks so much Res Ipsa!

The ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) recommend 100% vitamins and minerals daily for VSG patients.

If it's alright to post here, I recently switched to Celebrate multivitamins because Opurity was out of stock. I used Bariatric Fusion in the past because that was the supplement my surgeon put me on. I switched once I lost my job because Bariatric Fusion are really expensive. 

What is the consensus on Celebrate? Are there other brands I should consider?

3 hours ago, Hoi Polloi said:

If it's alright to post here, I recently switched to Celebrate multivitamins because Opurity was out of stock. I used Bariatric Fusion in the past because that was the supplement my surgeon put me on. I switched once I lost my job because Bariatric Fusion are really expensive. 

I use vitamins from CVS and Walgreens that I buy on sale. My blood test numbers are great. You do not need to spend a lot of money for bariatric vitamins. 

14 hours ago, Hoi Polloi said:

I started out on Celebrate Chewable Multivitamins and my bloodwork was great but switched to an OTC multi after a year or so to save a few pennies but ended up with a couple of deficiencies within a year so went back to Celebrate.

Most RNY'ers do well on OTC multivitamins.  I have several RNY friends who use Kirkland Signature multi's and Centrum (or cheaper identical versions like the CVS and Walgreens ones that Res Ipsa mentions) with zero problems.

So!  Let your bloodwork be your guide.

Res Ipsa likes this

On 4/17/2017 at 8:41 AM, cinwa said:

I started out on Celebrate Chewable Multivitamins and my bloodwork was great but switched to an OTC multi after a year or so to save a few pennies but ended up with a couple of deficiencies within a year so went back to Celebrate.

Most RNY'ers do well on OTC multivitamins.  I have several RNY friends who use Kirkland Signature multi's and Centrum (or cheaper identical versions like the CVS and Walgreens ones that Res Ipsa mentions) with zero problems.

So!  Let your bloodwork be your guide.

Thanks! I actually had deficiencies in my blood work with the Opurity vitamins. We will see what happens with Celebrate.