groundgrappler

Anyone 5 years Post Op?

9 posts in this topic

I know a lot of people on this forum are going though the first year of their weight loss journey. Just would like to hear from someone who has gone more then 5 years, were you able to keep your weight off or not? Would love to hear from you, where you are at and where you are going. Inspirational stories would be a plus.

Thank you

I had my RNY 2007.

I was in the underweight BMI for a good while but managed to put a few pounds on and now stay within the 130-135lb range.

For me, the key has been not to eat any starchy carbs other than a scant 1/4 cup of beans.  Breads, crackers, cereals, potatoes etc. etc. really don't bring much to the party.  My choice was made all the easier because I developed hypoglycemia and starchy carbs bring my blood sugar level down very quickly.

Res Ipsa likes this

I am just 3.5 years out, but I managed to lose all of my excess weight in about 10-11 months after surgery, and have maintained my weight between 175 and 180 pounds in the 2.5 years since then.  I eat a diet based on lean protein (lots of chicken and fish), drinks lots of very low calorie drinks (I love Bai5 and Vitamin Water Zero drinks, s well as unsweetened iced tea), take my vitamins on schedule, and try to lead a fairly active lifestyle.  Now that I am at my goal weight, I do have eat some carbs in limited quantities (I love having a little chocolate each day :rolleyes:), drink wine with dinner (but do not drink and drive), and do not feel deprived in any way.  I was trained as a cook when I was younger, so I really try to eat tasty foods that are also good for me.

I always weigh myself first thing every morning on my Fitbit Aria scale (except when I am traveling), and when I go above my 175-180 pound range (usually after a nice vacation :D), I immediately crack down and eat a barebones low calorie diet with lots of lean protein until I lose any excess weight and get back into my 175-180 pound range.  I know that I originally gained my excess weight a pound or so per month, and I will never allow that to happen again.  

Mine was in 2004 and I'm very successful in maintaining the loss

Vee j and Res Ipsa like this

I'm only 4 years but keep it off.  No problems and enjoying life!  Many days I have no appetite but better than eating my way through life:). 

Michael_A, Vee j and Res Ipsa like this

31 years for me, and no I didn't keep it off. I've regained and lost again more times than I care to remember.

On the upside though surgeries are very different these days and long term results are much better for those who work their tool. I didn't, but in my defence, we didn't have the information pre or post surgery to know what to do. Even if we had been given the information it was the time when fats were the evil in dieting and grains and starches were what we were taught were the main staple to aim for. Thankfully we are better informed these days!!!!

Res Ipsa likes this

On 4/15/2017 at 9:03 PM, Aussie H said:

31 years for me, and no I didn't keep it off. I've regained and lost again more times than I care to remember.

On the upside though surgeries are very different these days and long term results are much better for those who work their tool. I didn't, but in my defence, we didn't have the information pre or post surgery to know what to do. Even if we had been given the information it was the time when fats were the evil in dieting and grains and starches were what we were taught were the main staple to aim for. Thankfully we are better informed these days!!!!

Wow! 31 years? Did you have any regrets? 

On 2017-5-5 at 1:41 AM, Vee j said:

Wow! 31 years? Did you have any regrets? 

Absolutely I had regrets. Weightloss surgery back in those days was barbaric!!! Plus I've just come out of hospital today after having a very lengthy surgery to clean up all the mess it created.

How did everything go, @Aussie H? How are you feeling?