Rosalie M

Starting Pre-op diet tomorrow

9 posts in this topic

I'm two weeks away from surgery and I'm starting my diet tomorrow. I'm supposed to  have 2 protein shakes a day plus one small meal. I hope my cravings aren't too strong. Any suggestions?? Thanks guys!

Alexa21 likes this

U can do it keep yourself busy so u won't think of food believe me it's hard but u can do it good luck my surgery was on March 31 2017 it gets better :D

Keep focussed Rosalie and visit the forum as often as you can.  You just have to ask if you need a helping hand during the rough patches.

Alexa21 likes this

My biggest struggle with the pre-op diet (besides the hunger headaches) is the lack of variety and non-savory meals. My diet did not allow the small meal so it has been 3-4 protein shakes a day and a minimum 64 ounces of water.

The saving grace I found has been that if you need something savory during the day, check with your doctor on drinking flavored broth. My go-to is Pacific Organic Chicken or Turkey Bone Broth. The Bone broth is zero fat, zero carbs and about 35-42 calories per 8 ounces, but has 9-10 grams of Protein so it's good for getting your clear liquids and protein. Every now and then, I'll also add some cajun seasoning to mix it up.

1 hour ago, NyxinKC said:

My biggest struggle with the pre-op diet (besides the hunger headaches) is the lack of variety and non-savory meals. My diet did not allow the small meal so it has been 3-4 protein shakes a day and a minimum 64 ounces of water.

The saving grace I found has been that if you need something savory during the day, check with your doctor on drinking flavored broth. My go-to is Pacific Organic Chicken or Turkey Bone Broth. The Bone broth is zero fat, zero carbs and about 35-42 calories per 8 ounces, but has 9-10 grams of Protein so it's good for getting your clear liquids and protein. Every now and then, I'll also add some cajun seasoning to mix it up.

You might try the Unjury Chicken Soup flavor protein powder.  I really liked it both pre op and post op.  I used it plain as directed on the jug, and also stirred it into other savory cream soups for added protein when my post-op diet advanced to that stage.

Clickin and athenarose like this

1 hour ago, msmarymac said:

You might try the Unjury Chicken Soup flavor protein powder.  I really liked it both pre op and post op.  I used it plain as directed on the jug, and also stirred it into other savory cream soups for added protein when my post-op diet advanced to that stage.

I second this!! It was a lifesaver from the cloying sweet drinks. 

20 hours ago, msmarymac said:

Thanks for the recommendation! When I asked at the doctor's it was just chocolate or vanilla and I've really missed non-sweets. lol

msmarymac likes this

I'm not that far behind you. Started my liquid diet yesterday.  Day one I was okay. Today I skipped my lunch protein shake and have been hungry the whole rest of the day.  Good luck you your surgery must be soon.