Smashlee83

Cleared for food... now what?!?

12 posts in this topic

Had my 3 week post up check in yesterday. All healed up, down 26lbs and have the all clear to eat what I want.

The Dr. said that I should be eating my protein over drinking it and the shakes need to be for emergencies only. I thought I'd be excited about that, but shakes made up 40 grams of protein out of my 60 needed per day. Now what? I've eaten high protein food 5 times so far today and I'm only at 35grams.

Halp!

I don't eat meat so it was harder for me to get my protein without supplements. At 3.5 years out I still have at least one shake a day. I also eat/ate a lot of greek yogurt, egg whites, cheese (glorious cheese!) and nuts. Too early for you to eat nuts. Somewhere Jolls posted a list of what to eat and when. I'm not good at finding old threads here. So if you can't find it, I imagine someone else can.

Congrats on your weight loss! You are doing GREAT!

Jen581791, Trish1967, Carina and 1 other like this

I still do one protein shake a day.  I also carry protein bars.  

Start out gentle; don't go for grilled chicken or a hamburger right away.  Have you done chili, cottage cheese, refried beans?  

NerdyLady, LeeC and Trish1967 like this

I'm 3 years out and my breakfast is a protein shake. It's not because I have trouble hitting my daily protein goal...it's because I think they are tasty and they keep me satisfied until lunch. Plus, you can't beat 30g of protein. Yes, I've heard it's better to eat your protein instead of drinking it, but it's not bad if you continue to have shakes daily.

I ended up drinking a 1/2 shake to make up my protein difference last night. Good to know that you guys are years out and successful and still have protein shakes! Now to just get in all of this water!

And thank you @Cheesehead for the chili idea. I think some green chicken chili is going to be on the menu for the weekend.

I'm well over 9 years post-WLS and as a non-meat eater I still use protein shakes daily.

yeah, girl. all of us end up using protein shakes for the most part. i know greer says she can't stand them. but to each their own. 

i still have at least one almost every day. it helps to meet your goals, for sure. it's also great for traveling, which i do a lot. the quest individual protein packets really help when i'm flying! 

i concur with the chili. i make chili almost every week for my meal prep. grass-fed beef is incredible. i'll sometimes make a turkey chili here and there, too. 

have you tried tuna yet? i'd suggest to soften it with low-fat mayo or italian dressing. avocado is also a godsend (but not everyone likes it). 

Zen_Steph, Trish1967, LeeC and 4 others like this

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, TheColdestAugust said:

yeah, girl. all of us end up using protein shakes for the most part. i know greer says she can't stand them. but to each their own. 

i still have at least one almost every day. it helps to meet your goals, for sure. it's also great for traveling, which i do a lot. the quest individual protein packets really help when i'm flying! 

i concur with the chili. i make chili almost every week for my meal prep. grass-fed beef is incredible. i'll sometimes make a turkey chili here and there, too. 

have you tried tuna yet? i'd suggest to soften it with low-fat mayo or italian dressing. avocado is also a godsend (but not everyone likes it). 

Thanks!!! Friday night I made a chili and white bean chili and it was delish. Haven't done tuna yet but I'll add it to the list. Saturday I was on the run and visiting people and going to the movies so I did a protein shake then and it was perfect. I guess it's all about just getting into a groove.

LeeC, Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

Chili and canned tuna are staples for me. Doesn't take much to fill me up.

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

41 minutes ago, Zen_Steph said:

Chili and canned tuna are staples for me. Doesn't take much to fill me up.

Everyone says Chili. I'm in south Texas where it's already approaching 90 degrees. I can't do Chili. haha. It's always been a winter food. I think I'm getting into a groove though, that's for sure. I made turkey "burgers" without the bun for dinner and lunch and even my 3yr old liked it.

I do lunch meat and cheese daily.  I also love grilled chicken nuggets from Chick-fil-a.  I rarely have shakes but love the convenience of them.

i'm still having trouble with meat so i'm eating a lot of cheese, eggs, greek yogurt, and nuts. if it's REALLY finely ground, like in chili, it doesn't bother me but that's about it so far for meat. i don't care for protein shakes but i don't have any trouble digesting milk, so if i'm short on my protein for the day I drink a glass of that. my doc also wants me eating my protein versus drinking it so I try and get what I can with solid food and wait until the end of the day to see if i need to supplement. i'm hoping to eventually tolerate meat better because that would be SO much easier. I couldn't tolerate eggs at first either, just was able to start eating them about 2-3 weeks ago. I've tried all kinds of protein bars but haven't really liked them either. 

I usually think of chili as a winter food too, but the chili they serve in the cafeteria at work gets me more protein than I can get eating anything else that my stomach will tolerate. I suck it up at least once a week :) 

Smashlee83, Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this