Carina

Full-fat dairy right after GBP?

10 posts in this topic

Surgery is in three days (eek). My nut said to have regular dairy in the house to eat after surgery. The idea is to get some calories in with the protein, since i won't be able to eat much.

i don't remember running across this before. Anybody have anything to share about this? Thx

NerdyLady likes this

Posted (edited)

I was never told that.  I tried to keep my calories as low as possible.  But each nut is different.  

Also, be aware for some early out dairy may irritate.  In other words some become lactose intolerate for a while..

Edited by Cheesehead
NerdyLady likes this

I'm surprised at that. Maybe start with lactose-free dairy.

NerdyLady likes this

Posted (edited)

Ha. Never saw lactose free anything here....

I have some soy protein powder to out in liquids. I don't eat meat, though, so bouillon isn't going to do it for me; that's why she suggested dairy, I think. Maybe I need to search the site for vegetarian suggestions. I want to have SOMETHING in the house for when I get back, also because it will be Easter weekend and the stores are hardly open.

Edited by Carina
NerdyLady likes this

28 minutes ago, Carina said:

Ha. Never saw lactose free anything here....

I have some soy protein powder to out in liquids. I don't eat meat, though, so bouillon isn't going to do it for me; that's why she suggested dairy, I think. Maybe I need to search the site for vegetarian suggestion. I want to have SOMETHING in the house for when I get back, also because it will be Easter weekend and the stores are hardly open.

I am veg. I had milk and premier shakes when I was first post op. Veggie broth too. I also had tomato soup. I can't remember what else. 

NerdyLady and Carina like this

My Nut also prefers whole dairy. Skimmed ones don't keep their A, D and E vitamins. Also you don't get so many less calories by eating skimmed (about 1.5 grams less fat per 100 g of milk). Different thing are matured cheeses, in that case it's better to choose 17 g of fat per 100 g than 33 per 100g. A lot of difference in calories...

NerdyLady and Carina like this

I generally only eat low or no fat dairy, since I like it and see no reason for the extra calories of full fat dairy.  My only exception is that I do eat limited amounts of butter.

NerdyLady likes this

1 hour ago, Res Ipsa said:

......... butter.

A man after my own heart!

I don't like fat free dairy like milk and yogurt and I'd have a hard time drinking whole milk now but that's based purely on taste and not a fear of additional fat.  Whole milk has around 3.25% fat.  

Dietary fats are essential.  Vitamins A, D, E and K are all fat-soluble - they need to dissolve in fat before being carried through your bloodstream.  Fat helps support cell growth and produce important hormones.  AND - it's beneficial to the skin.  I had the most horribly flaky and itchy skin shortly after my WLS and all the creams and lotions did nothing to help.  My NUT pointed out that my body wasn't getting enough fat.

NerdyLady and Res Ipsa like this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, cinwa said:

Dietary fats are essential.  Vitamins A, D, E and K are all fat-soluble - they need to dissolve in fat before being carried through your bloodstream.  Fat helps support cell growth and produce important hormones.  AND - it's beneficial to the skin.  I had the most horribly flaky and itchy skin shortly after my WLS and all the creams and lotions did nothing to help.  My NUT pointed out that my body wasn't getting enough fat.

I read a great article a few days ago, that talked about how the medical profession is now sobering up to the realization that the low-fat craze and advice of the 80's and 90's, was without merit and actually caused many unforeseen problems. All fats are not created equal, and consuming fat does not necessarily have a direct correlation to putting fat on your bones. I'll try find it...

Edit- found it-  https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/were-all-guinea-pigs-in-a-failed-decades-long-diet-experiment

Edited by Michael_A
cinwa, Aussie H and NerdyLady like this

4 hours ago, Michael_A said:

I read a great article a few days ago, that talked about how the medical profession is now sobering up to the realization that the low-fat craze and advice of the 80's and 90's, was without merit and actually caused many unforeseen problems. All fats are not created equal, and consuming fat does not necessarily have a direct correlation to putting fat on your bones. I'll try find it...

Edit- found it-  https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/were-all-guinea-pigs-in-a-failed-decades-long-diet-experiment

I've heard and read the same thing many times. The problem with many lower fat alternatives is what manufacturers add to get the taste that full fat products have. It's usually carbs which aren't the friend of those trying to lose weight. I'm also a butter or nothing girl when it comes to spreads. You'll never see me tucking into manufactured margarines. 

cinwa, Isaare, NerdyLady and 1 other like this