Sign in to follow this  
slars04

Food Aversions

Everything tastes or smells bad to me lately. #%&# ?!? Is this all in my head? I am 8 weeks out today, and I just don't want to eat anything. I figured out a smoothie I can tolerate (a Premier banana crème shake, an Oikos Triple Zero yogurt, and 8 oz of diet Cran-some kind of fruit juice) so I at least get 45 grams of protein, but I feel like I should be learning to eat regular food, too.

The weird thing is, I was doing fairly well with meat and some veg, but now everything feels or smells weird. I'm down to chili, some fish, and salad. Eggs sometimes. Should I be concerned or grateful?

Edited by slars04

Just eat what you can tolerate for now; food aversions usually don't last and you'll be able to expand your menu.  For now as long as you're getting your protein and fluids you'll be OK.  And, use this time to develop non-food ways of dealing with the world as it won't last forever and then you'll be tempted to let chocolate be your answer :)

At around 8 weeks I developed an aversion to avocado which is a food I have always loved and had so looked forward to.  Taste, smell, texture made me gag.  I was crushed.  Fortunately it is now back on my favorites list.

Good luck!

Thank you! I remember only one time in my life that I couldn't eat. I was 22, totally heartbroken and deeply humiliated by two people who I thought cared about me. Any other time I had a feeling (or was breathing, for  that matter) I was putting something in my food hole.

I was feeling pretty good about my decision to go ahead with WLS until this happened. I am grateful anything slightly sweet or fatty makes me sick right now. Going down that rabbit hole scares me to death. My own best thinking got me to 315 lbs by the time I was 40. Thanks again for talking me off the ledge.

Edited by slars04
Addition

Even this far out I developed a dislike for some thing that has been a staple..  eggs are major-they look good but they end up in the garbage.  Chicken after 4 years of eating it, craving it is unfortunately on its way out.  I hate hamburger (used to eat).  

Just keep trying.  Try new things too.  Things you maybe never thought you would like..then go back to retry foods.  

Food just doesn't have the same power over me.  Eat for fuel if you can..

I'm 8 weeks out today and suffer from quite a few food aversions. Basically everything tastes/smells really bad. Everything bitter smells the same: like poison! Proteiny things all smell the same (gross), whether it's a shake, fish, or tofu. Just kind of yucky. The only things that taste OK are fruits and vegetables. For the moment, I'm just shoving in food when I'm supposed to in order to get enough protein/calories for the day. It's working out all right, and maybe building in a disassociation of food and pleasure? Not sure, but I'm learning to deal with life without food for pleasure/comfort/entertainment, so that's probably a good thing.