Pushin 300

New guy from Seattle

Hey guys! 

New guy from Seattle. 53 in about a month, married forever to my high-school sweetheart & have always been a Lil chubby. Just had a physical a few weeks ago & was tipping the scales at 301. At 5'-9" & #301 it was time to do something. 

I saw a Dr in Everett WA. at the NWWLS Clinic that I was referred to by my general MD. He suggested the VSG & after doing my research and speaking to the surgeon I've opted for the VSG procedure. 

I have to meet the nutritionalist & have the upper GI performed and hope to have the procedure done mid June. 

I've got a vacation planned May 4th to May 9th & then away we go. 

I would love to hear the pros & cons of the VSG post-op. 

Thanks, 

Clay 

Welcome to Thinner Times Clay!

I made the choice to have a RNY but we have many members who have been incredibly successful with the VSG and I'm sure they'll chime in to share their story.

Hi there Clay and welcome!

I'm over 2 years post-op VSG and I love my new life!  The first couple of months post-op are the most difficult as you're slowly going from liquids to mushy foods to solids.  Learning what your baby sleeve tolerates and what works best for you is a process but it is so worth it!  The only downside I've really experienced is chronic constipation which is rather minor considering the trade off.  I feel the best I have in probably 30 years at least.  I feel more confident, I look and feel younger, I have energy, I have joy and hope in a healthy future.  This has entirely changed my life!

My best advice to you would be to use the honeymoon period (roughly the first year) when you really don't feel a lot of hunger and craving, to really work on the "head hunger".  Those cravings will return, and gradually old habits will start to sneak back in.  So, use that honeymoon period to learn new lifelong eating and activity habits; to develop healthier coping skills than food. 

Best of luck to you!

Welcome, Clay! I'm having VSG at the end of May. It will be fun to lose together.

Thanks guys. I have to admit I'm a little apprehensive about this because it is a life changer but I know in the end it's the best for both me & my family. 

The more I read, the more I appreciate this forum!

Welcome Pushin!

I am looking to have surgery hopefully the end of May or into June... I can totally relate to the apprehension!

On 4/11/2017 at 10:38 PM, Pushin 300 said:

Thanks guys. I have to admit I'm a little apprehensive about this because it is a life changer but I know in the end it's the best for both me & my family. 

I can sympathise with the apprehension. I'm 72 hours away from my VSG surgery and it keeps sinking in a little more each day, but I keep reminding myself that the surgery is just a tool for good changes. And the forum is great help with sharing stories. I have felt so much more solid about the decision since connecting with others who have been through the same. Welcome!

On 12/04/2017 at 1:08 PM, Pushin 300 said:

While it is life changing surgery, try not to let your apprehension get the better of you. I lived for probably 25 years having completely forgotten I'd even had my original WLS. Life changes for the better as you get healthier and move further away from the actual procedure. I met my husband after surgery and went on to have two children without even a bump in the road until now.

Welcome! You'll see as you explore the boards that do many of us have only one regret- that we didn't do it sooner. The pre op liquid diet and the first few months post op are the worst of it, physically and mentally (at least for me they were). The you start seeing the results and you start feeling better and looking better. It's an exciting time. Your next challenge will be maintenance. It is tough sometimes but you have a nice tailwind from your sleeve. 

Congrats on your decision for a healthier life!