Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
annegirl

daily protein requirements

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

2 weeks out from surgery. Starting pureed foods tomorrow. Thank Heavens. My siblings, each > 150# over IBW, had this surgery several years ago and have done great. Both told me, Oh you won't be hungry. OMG, I have been hungry. I awoke from a nap 2 days ago cause I was hungry. I felt panicked thinking, what did I do? Had a irreversible surgery that will leave me hungry but unable to eat 24/7? So I added yogurt and cottage cheese (both FF) twice daily and things are much better.

I have about 70#'s to lose. have lost 20#  in these 2 weeks.  I was told, by my nutritionist, my daily protein intake should be 50-60 grams. My sister said yesterday, that's why you're hungry, not enough protein. She was told her protein intake should be 80-100 gm/day. 

What were YOU advised?

Anyone else feel hungry?  I have to admit it's a bit discouraging and anxiety provoking to think I will feel hungry and unsatisfied. I am trying not to be negative, trying to adjust my food intake and eating times, etc to avoid this. Maybe it's temporary... I return to work this week. Hopeful my very, very busy schedule will help me.

Any thoughts appreciated

Anne

It's pretty difficult to meet your protein needs early out unless you supplement with protein shakes.

But the recommendations we're given on protein intake are goals.  I can't remember exactly what I was told to shoot for but it was in the 80g/day range.

Once you're on a solid diet Anne, it does get easier to meet our protein needs.  No doubt about it, solid protein by way of meat and fish does keep us fuller for longer.

I had the same problem post op. Part of it was acid. Part of it was hunger. Can you ask your doctor if you need more acid meds? Are you on any? I found when I added nexium to my zantac the "hunger" improved. The first few weeks post op are really hard. it's hard not to chew food. you feel unsatisfied. it really does get better. by this time next month you'll have moved on to small solid protein meals that will for sure help you feel full. 

i didn't meet my protein goals for a long time.  focus on hydration first, then protein.  you can kill two birds with one stone with protein shakes and isopure protein water. I was recommended 60-80 grams of protein a day on my program. i meet that easily now, but it took a while.  hang in there! 

CoTN and TentativeMe like this

I agree with everything above.  I was "hungry" for the first 2 weeks after surgery.  It turned out to be lactose sensitivity for me.  After a day of water, Tums and GasX, I cut out milk products and now I am rarely hungry.  I'd try antacids to ease your stomach and see if that helps.

As for protein goals, I'm still only getting about 40 in.  When you can only eat 1/4 c, 60 g of protein isn't likely unless you're chewing protein powder.  Blech!  You will get more in as the weeks progress.

bellamoma likes this

Thanks all.  This AM I made sure to have 24 gm of protein, and I swear I haven't been hungry since. Made sure I had a "meal" a couple of hours ago. It feel like I have a very full tummy. Will be cutting that in 1/2 next time. Pureed beef stew (like baby food), it was wonderful to have something beside yogurt, shakes  and fluids;)

I am already on Nexium and Ranitidine.

Also had to get some Benefiber. Sigh it'll always be something minor I'm sure till I'm well adjusted to how my stomach feels.

But I am down 20# and feeling good.  A little anxious about returning to work but it may actually help me develop a more routine schedule.

Anne

Res Ipsa and bellamoma like this