Smashlee83

Exercise at 3 weeks post op

9 posts in this topic

My surgeon said I should be getting out and starting my exercise plan immediately. Working up to an hour of cardio a day. Currently though, I have 0 energy. I take all of my vitamins, and get my 60 grams of protein but I am just plain whooped. I get up at 5am and head to work and sometimes just walking from the parking garage to my desk is exhausting. I walked my daughter down to the park a few blocks and pulling her wagon was a struggle. I was much more active prior.

Any suggestions or tips?

You're only a little over 2 weeks post-op so I wouldn't worry too much about not meeting your surgeon's exercise recommendations.  Just strive to do a little more each day.

Although I had an umbilical hernia repair at the same time as my RNY, I wasn't cleared for anything more than walking for 6 weeks.

athenarose likes this

Being tired in the weeks after weight loss surgery is very normal. I suggest that you take long walks (every day if possible) and otherwise exercise as much as you feel comfortable doing. Do not over strain your body or you may injure yourself. Your energy levels will return, especially as you lose lots of weight.  Hang in there. 

athenarose likes this

6 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

My surgeon said I should be getting out and starting my exercise plan immediately. Working up to an hour of cardio a day. Currently though, I have 0 energy. I take all of my vitamins, and get my 60 grams of protein but I am just plain whooped. I get up at 5am and head to work and sometimes just walking from the parking garage to my desk is exhausting. I walked my daughter down to the park a few blocks and pulling her wagon was a struggle. I was much more active prior.

Any suggestions or tips?

It sounds too early to me to be that active. I worked out a lot pre-op. My dr told me to wait at least 4 weeks before going back to the gym. Give yourself another week or two and then see how you feel. I expect you'll have much more energy.

athenarose likes this

Most people report of being easily fatigued in the first weeks after surgery. You've just had major surgery and in addition to your dramatically reduced caloric intake, your body is working hard to heal. That alone takes a lot out of you never mind caring for your daughter and going back to work. It's not at all surprising that you feel tired.

Slow/moderate walking was encouraged to promote healing but I was strictly instructed not to exercise or even lift anything heavier than a milk carton for 6 weeks. I would suggest easing your way into exercise. Your energy levels will eventually return. Give your body time to heal and adapt.

Best of luck. Let us know how you make out.

Thank you all! I walked a mile yesterday (slowly with a 3 year old) and it went ok. Finally dug out my fit bit I haven't worn in a while and going to try and just get some moderate steps in while I heal.

Congratulations on the walking - can't have been easy with a 3 year old.  Walking is still my choice of exercise although there isn't any safe paths or sidewalks where I live so I rely on a treadmill but it does it's job and having an incline feature has me putting more effort into it.

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

Congratulations on the walking - can't have been easy with a 3 year old.  Walking is still my choice of exercise although there isn't any safe paths or sidewalks where I live so I rely on a treadmill but it does it's job and having an incline feature has me putting more effort into it.

The 3 year old forces me to go slowly, so I don't over do it :) 

Friday was 3 weeks post op for me - and I am in a similar spot. After working all day, I am just drained at the end of the day. My energy levels are so low - but I know it is a combination of the surgery/recovery and from the calorie reduction. I've been walking everyday but haven't started anything more than that. My doctor recommended 4 weeks out from surgery for anything more than walking. This week, I am working on upping my fluids and getting my calories in - hoping that gives me more fuel to start being more active! Hopefully it is comforting to know that we are in similar spots! :)

Smashlee83 likes this