Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikef

Surgery Questions

5 posts in this topic

During surgery did anyone have a breathing tube in their throat?

What about a drain....  did anyone wake up with a drain tube?  Thank you. 

Posted (edited)

Breathing tubes are pretty standard fair during general anesthesia on morbidly obese people. They wait until you're asleep before they put them in and remove them before you're fully awake so you don't even know its been there except for perhaps some discomfort. With surgery on lower weight people they can use a mask instead.

I may be wrong here but I'm pretty sure that with vertical sleeve surgery they have to pass tubing down your throat anyway (the bougie????) to guide them with placement of the staple line. Seriously if this kind of stuff is likely to bother you then it's probably best not to find out what you don't need to know. Trust in your surgical team to look after you.

I know so many people who've let themselves get really worked up over things that take place between you being gowned and nodding off and the actual procedure commencing, that I wonder why they pursued the answers in the first place. Sometimes what you don't know doesn't hurt you, and what you do know can add unnecessary anxiety.

Edited by Aussie H
Res Ipsa, tkk54915, bcd and 1 other like this

I was intubated and also had a drain.  The drain was removed before I left the hospital (I stayed two nights).  The only reason I knew I was intubated was that I had a sore throat for the first day after surgery.  The nurses had to empty my drain several times and measure the output, but it didn't hurt and it wasn't a big deal at all.  Didn't hurt while it was in or when they were taking it out.

I agree with Aussie, I worried about so many things before surgery that just didn't end up being an issue at all.  I even worried that the anesthesia wouldn't work and I would feel everything.  Trust your medical team, they are (hopefully) experts.  :) 

CoTN, Aussie H and Res Ipsa like this

I am sure I had a breathing tube - but I don't remember because I was out before I ever hit the OR.  I did not have a drain when I woke up. 

I would ask yourself, why do you want to do this... then write out all the pros.  The cons are truly the unknown ... and while certainly things could happen to you in surgery or afterwards.. as my doctor put it, when is surgery no longer an option but a must! 

This was the best decision I ever made - for myself, my family, my career, etc.  I did a lot of positive thoughts / thinking about my future before I had the surgery.... I would push any negative things away.... You have to do what is right for you but I can tell you, as you can read on here... the positives absolutely outweigh the negatives.

Good Luck!

I'm sure that most have a breathing tube although I neither felt mine going in or coming out and I had no sore or dry throat because of it.

I did come home with a drain which I had to empty regularly - there's a picture of it and it's placement in my gallery.  It was more annoying than anything else.