mikef

Pre-op procedures

7 posts in this topic

So I have read about blood work and psych evaluations....  

Who had to do a sleep study?

Anybody have to do a pre-op endoscopy?

Any other test before the surgery?

Stephtay likes this

The range of tests needed pre-surgery is really dependant on the surgeon. I had to have an endoscopy because an endoscopy 12 months earlier was the reason I was referred for surgery in the first place. I also had a barium swallow test, and was to be referred for a pelvic/abdominal CT Scan but had already had a recent one for other reasons so he was able to access that. I didn't need the sleep aponea test because the anesthecist could tell from a prior conscious sedation procedure that sleep aponea wasn't an issue for me. That said most surgeons will require one because 90-95% of morbidly obese patients do have sleep aponea and that needs to be controlled prior to surgery. My surgeon also made sure that all my standard age related tests were up to date. This include pap smears, mammogram, bowel screening etc. I was going to have esophageal manometry testing but thankfully the surgeon backed off on that one, but some here have had to have it pre-surgery.  EKG and chest xray will be done as part of my pre-op appointment at the hospital in about 10 days. Those where heart conditions are present or anticipated will usually be required to get clearance from a cardiologist prior to surgery. 

No pysch evaluation for me because the surgery is medically necessary as opposed to elective.

Posted (edited)

I had to have blood work, cardiac clearance, sleep study with follow up pulmonary clearance and psych eval.  No endoscopy.

My sleep study was an at home monitor.  I was glad I didn't have to go to a sleep lab.  That would have been very inconvenient 

Edited by TentativeMe

I had an endoscopy, EKG and a barium swallow test. No sleep study as I didn't have sleeping/breathing issues. 

I had to do a sleep study with pulmonologist visit and clearance if sleep apnea was detected (I had an at home study, no apnea), a psych eval (2 visits), EKG/cardiologist clearance, Upper GI & chest xray, a bunch of bloodwork, and 3 visits with a nutritionist (insurance requirement).  Everything but the NUT visits was my required by my surgeon. 

I didn't have to do the sleep study because I had already been diagnosed with apnea, had to do a psych eval (1 visit), EKG & Upper GI(Barium test), blood work, 4 visits to a NUT and 2 visits to a physical therapist / trainer. I have 2 NUT visits and the 2 Physical Therapist visit to go! All of these were required by my insurance company.

Since I had already been diagnosed with sleep apnea and was using a CPAP I didn't need a sleep study.  People going through the process with me who had not had a sleep study had to get one.  I had to get an endoscopy.  Also needed a cardiac clearance.