mikef

Sleeve surgery vs Gallbladder Surgery

The only surgery or procedure I have ever had was my gallbladder removal about a year ago. It was infected and had to be scraped out. It was about a 2 hour laparoscopic surgery with a 4 day hospital stay. Lots of pain. Couldn't sleep laying down for about two weeks. My wife thinks I'm a baby. Not a high tolerance for pain but I think that's most men. Women have a far higher tolerance for pain. 

So my question is....   how does the sleeve surgery compare to my gallbladder surgery?  Are they simialet or is the sleeve a far more major procedure with more pain?

Based on your description of gall bladder surgery, the sleeve surgery is much easier. The sleeve surgery, which also laparoscopic, takes 30-45 minutes, and in most cases only requires a 1 night hospital stay. Some patients require pain medication for several days after the surgery, while others, like me, had only minor pain and required no pain medication. I walked out of the hospital the following morning unaided (no wheel chair), and drove home!! My sister was there to drive me, but since it was my car, I decided to drive!! But if you spend some time reading the posts in this forum, you will find that the immediate effect of the surgery varies quite widely. However I think that almost all sleeve patients only plan to spend only 1 night in the hospital after surgery.

One good result from your previous gallbladder removal is that the rapid weight loss that usually results from the sleeve surgery generally triples the chance of gall stones, and my surgeon prescribed a specific medication for 6 months after surgery to alleviate that. Since you no longer have a gall bladder, you shouldn't have that potential problem!!

Yes, based on your gallbladder surgery, my VSG was much easier.  No postop pain or nausea.   I was discharged about 16 hours postop and went shopping and sightseeing.  Never needed pain meds and was back at work on the 7th day.

However, I had my gallbladder and 14 stones removed almost 2 years after my VSG and that surgery was even easier.  Discharged 2 hours after waking up, stopped at the grocery store on my way home and then went home and cleaned the house (the oxycodone they gave me right before they sent me home made me WIRED :blink: )  I was tired the next day but felt totally normal the following day.  Never took any of the pain Meds they prescribed.  

Sorry your gallbladder surgery was so tough.  Hopefully your VSG will be more like mine.  (Course I am a girl :rolleyes: )

Wow, your gall bladder removal sounds tough.  I had mine removed during the same surgery when I was sleeved and also had a hernia repaired.  Should have probably had the appendix taken out since they were rummaging around so much in there.

Felt like I had been in a brawl but not a whole lot of pain.  Spent two nights in the hospital but the second night was due to a prostate issue.