ktallon

Grocery Shopping

12 posts in this topic

Simply put how do you do it? I literally feel like I can not have anything. I look at the nutrition labels and I feel like everything has to many carbs. I actually broke down in the store today (yes I probably looked crazy) because I feel like I am having some deep regrets over this surgery. like im sick of eating tuna plain what can I substitute for bread or crackers that is low in carbs? I never realized how much of a struggle it was going to be to adapt. oh I am also still on the soft food phase so I know I am limited in what I can have anyways. I guess the routine of eating the same thing day in and day out has me frustrated.

GAviv and tmcgee like this

Hang in there - until you're cleared for all foods, your choice is limited.

I'm 3yrs out so things are a lot different for me. However, i shop the perimeter of the store. Fresh veggies and fruits, meats, dairy products. I never wander the crackers/cookie/beverage aisles. 

You are so early out and it seems like you are not giving yourself the chance to relax and let your surgery do it's job for you. I really hope you find your groove soon. 

GAviv, Stephtay and Cheesehead like this

I think it's a matter of being on the soft food. I feel like I am very limited in what I can have. it's definitely a major change, and yes hopefully I find my groove soon. I would love to have fresh fruits and veggies right about now however I was told not until after week 12.

Jabsie likes this

24 minutes ago, ktallon said:

I think it's a matter of being on the soft food. I feel like I am very limited in what I can have. it's definitely a major change, and yes hopefully I find my groove soon. I would love to have fresh fruits and veggies right about now however I was told not until after week 12.

All programs are similar, with differences. Some call it a soft food stage and others call it purée. I've found the Ninja food processor to be quite useful and it cleans up quickly. As to carbs, it's the simple carbs that are a bad idea, the complex carbs not so much. Some of us are told to get our carbs from fruit and vegetables, and for me, soup always works. 

From what you say, you're doing well and discovering what we all have gone through. Stay with it, it works!

Jabsie likes this

Also keep in mind when you are trying to find something that will work in soft foods (I loved split pea soup!), the 2oz I was able to get in is nowhere close to the serving size so my carb counts were fine. 

Believe me, I straight HATE fish, but man did I force myself to not gag when I ate those starfish tuna pouches. The soft food phase is just a blip on the radar. 

You probably aren't ready for the low carb alternatives to bread and crackers yet, but I eat a lot of butter lettuce wraps and use cukes and small sweet peppers for my crackers. 

Keligirl12 likes this

I'm thinking chili. Cottage cheese, refried beans with melted cheese and taco sauce...

@ktallon

I made this carb free "baked ziti" when I was on soft foods and craving something that was not sweet.

Regards,

Garnet

HiddenRNYGem likes this

I totally understand your frustration. I don't think I ever wanted a vegetable so much in my life as I did when I came off the soft food phase. I wasn't really craving anything but I was just sick of everything sweet tasting. The early foods are shakes, jello, pudding, popsicles, etc... and my mouth just got tired of it. Boredom is not my friend.

What I can tell you is that you will never be more limited with what you can eat than you are right now. Even if it's not at a pace you're super happy with, you will gradually be able to eat a greater variety of foods which will likely help ease your frustrations. In the interim, perhaps you could comb the web and this forum for recipes that fit with your current restrictions, plan out your meals accordingly, and create a detailed list of what to buy. By the time you get to the store, your decisions will have already been made. This may make the task of food shopping less overwhelming.

Regardless, hang in there. It will get better.

I've said it here before, I was tempted to put pizza and Chinese food into the blender when my daughter brought those things into the house in my early days. I would not have been able to eat much of either thing but it took a long time for my brain to get around the idea of my new reality,.

check out the world according toeggface.blogspot.com.

she has many wls friendly recipes

Lots of good advice above.  Relax and remember that your diet right after surgery will be rough.  But at some point, if you stick with your diet, you will reach your goal weight and become thin and healthy.  At that point, you will be able to eat in moderation almost any food.  But by that point, you hopefully will have a "new relationship with food" and realize that life at your goal weight is way too great to lose for the ability to eat unhealthy food.  

We are here to support you.