Ashiemc27

Hungry after surgery !!

I had my gastric bypass surgery this past Thursday 3-16-17. As far as pain goes I am doing well with that today! First 2 days were a little rough but today it's better:) the only thing I seem to be struggling with is HUNGER! I honestly thought post op the liquid diet would be way easier than pre op! I am drinking 3 premier protein drinks a day along with sugar free jello & chicken or beef broth. My family is supportive and keeping me on track but my family has to eat! When ever I see or smell food (now that the nauseous feeling is gone) I just want to take a bite... soooo... bad!!! Ugh. I don't feel the full feeling that I was hoping to post op! :( I am hoping this gets easier? When can I start adding to my diet... hopefully soon! 

When were you told to advance in your diet?  Follow that.

its way too early to feel the "full" feeling!  That won't be for months.  Make sure at this point to weigh and measure everything!  You may be experiencing head hunger or it could be acid.  When in doubt call your surgeon.  Try drinking if you think you are hungry...are you getting 64 oz of liquids in yet?

I would second what Cheesehead said. I've heard that acid and/or thirst can mask itself as hunger. I'd give your doctor a call to talk it over.

You may also be having some 'head hunger'. For many folks, eating was the first strategy looked to for coping with stress. Surgery is very physically and emotionally stressful so it's not a huge surprise that your instinct is to eat right now. It speaks to how powerful the obsession can be that even though the surgery has significantly limited our ability to do so, we still want to eat. I'd suggest trying to distract yourself when thoughts of eating come to mind. Read, journal, draw, work, walk, get out of the house, etc... anything that can interrupt obsessing over food. Please let us know how you make out.

I'm having trouble with being hungry as well. I'm taking a prescription antacid, so I assume that's not the problem. I get at least 66 oz (2 liters) of water, coffee, tea each day. Mostly water. I'm following my instructions to the letter, even though it's giving me 600-700 calories a day. The hunger seems to be getting worse the farther out I am. I don't have any of those moments anymore where I think bleh, I don't want to eat. (Unless I just ate.)

Pretty disappointing. Any wisdom? This too shall pass?

Carina, here's a video from Dr. Matthew Weiner that might be helpful, at least in assessing whether you're feeling real hunger or head hunger. I thought what he had to say was pretty interesting - a different way of thinking about your body's signals, anyway. 

I'm talking hunger: low blood sugar, growling etc. I feel like what's the point of getting yourself cut up if the result is just more hunger while following a restrictive diet? Could have done that on my own.

Not looking for pizza, just food.

Feeling really disappointed and pissed off. 

Edited by Carina

I didn't mean to be patronizing or diminish your experience - I'm sorry if it came across that away. I thought the observations on various signs of head hunger vs. real hunger were interesting (I can drink some water and make my "stomach" - actually intestines - stop growling). If you're having blood sugar issues, that's different. Have you asked your doctor about that? Lots of people report having their blood sugar issues get better after surgery, so if that's a problem, it could be something else altogether. Of course, some people do report still being hungry after surgery... so who knows? Maybe your body needs a couple of weeks to sort itself out - lots of crazy changes going on in there, not to mention the healing. I hope this gets better for you. Hungry isn't fun.

So granted I'm pre-surgery but see where you are at in your lady cycle? I am always ready to eat a grocery store one week per month then it passes.  I'm hoping this may lessen after surgery but it very well might not.  If you can tie it to stupid hormones I have found it easier to remind myself that's my hormones and they lie sometimes about what you really need.  The bottom line is we need very little to sustain us the rest is just our bodies messing with us. 

Uh, that ship has sailed. :D

@Hotmamatime

Edited by Carina

11 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I didn't mean to be patronizing or diminish your experience - I'm sorry if it came across that away. I thought the observations on various signs of head hunger vs. real hunger were interesting (I can drink some water and make my "stomach" - actually intestines - stop growling). If you're having blood sugar issues, that's different. Have you asked your doctor about that? Lots of people report having their blood sugar issues get better after surgery, so if that's a problem, it could be something else altogether. Of course, some people do report still being hungry after surgery... so who knows? Maybe your body needs a couple of weeks to sort itself out - lots of crazy changes going on in there, not to mention the healing. I hope this gets better for you. Hungry isn't fun.

Haha, I think I was hangry. :) We have appointments on Tuesday, so you betcha I'm going to ask. I hope they have a good answer. 

Hi Carina, there is a set of guidance that was put on the web by a bariatric surgeon from California a number of years ago... something called "rules of the pouch" or something similar. In it he passes along a technique of drinking a half liter of water (or something similar) in just 15-20 minutes... It fills the small stomach, makes the person feel full, and buys the person some time before they really have to eat. 

For what it may be worth, when I get hungry or feel a little hypoglycemic (I'm about a month post sleeve gastrectomy) I am trying to drink either some vegetable juice or preferably eat some jello with extra protein in it that I have made. Clearly one way to keep the fat-burning metabolic machinery going is to avoid a snack with carbohydrates in it... so the jello with protein satisfies my hunger but does not allow my metabolism to switch away from fat-burning. Most of us must be substantially in ketosis after surgery with minimal carbohydrates and mostly protein intake...

11 hours ago, Carina said:

Haha, I think I was hangry. :) We have appointments on Tuesday, so you betcha I'm going to ask. I hope they have a good answer. 

:) Glad you've got some time to talk to them soon. I hope they have a good answer!