Ashiemc27

Hungry after surgery !!

3 posts in this topic

I had my gastric bypass surgery this past Thursday 3-16-17. As far as pain goes I am doing well with that today! First 2 days were a little rough but today it's better:) the only thing I seem to be struggling with is HUNGER! I honestly thought post op the liquid diet would be way easier than pre op! I am drinking 3 premier protein drinks a day along with sugar free jello & chicken or beef broth. My family is supportive and keeping me on track but my family has to eat! When ever I see or smell food (now that the nauseous feeling is gone) I just want to take a bite... soooo... bad!!! Ugh. I don't feel the full feeling that I was hoping to post op! :( I am hoping this gets easier? When can I start adding to my diet... hopefully soon! 

When were you told to advance in your diet?  Follow that.

its way too early to feel the "full" feeling!  That won't be for months.  Make sure at this point to weigh and measure everything!  You may be experiencing head hunger or it could be acid.  When in doubt call your surgeon.  Try drinking if you think you are hungry...are you getting 64 oz of liquids in yet?

Trish1967, athenarose and Jabsie like this

I would second what Cheesehead said. I've heard that acid and/or thirst can mask itself as hunger. I'd give your doctor a call to talk it over.

You may also be having some 'head hunger'. For many folks, eating was the first strategy looked to for coping with stress. Surgery is very physically and emotionally stressful so it's not a huge surprise that your instinct is to eat right now. It speaks to how powerful the obsession can be that even though the surgery has significantly limited our ability to do so, we still want to eat. I'd suggest trying to distract yourself when thoughts of eating come to mind. Read, journal, draw, work, walk, get out of the house, etc... anything that can interrupt obsessing over food. Please let us know how you make out.