Linda D

Smaller and healthier self journey

14 posts in this topic

I just found and joined this sight. My gastric bypass surgery date is 3/29 and I am very excited it's almost here. 

Karimeaway likes this

Welcome!!  Congrats on the date!  So many members here to help you with any questions or concerns you may have.

Welcome to Thinner Times Linda!

Welcome1. I have never regretted having a gastric bypass.  Life as a healthy, thin and active person is really great.

Remember, we are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.

Welcome!  Feel free to ask questions if you have any..great group here!

I had surgery 3/29. I got home 3/30 and am in so much throat pain! It only subsides for a few minutes before it starts up again. Otherwise, I am great!

55 minutes ago, Linda D said:

I had surgery 3/29. I got home 3/30 and am in so much throat pain! It only subsides for a few minutes before it starts up again. Otherwise, I am great!

Linda,

Hang in there.  It will get better.  Try to walk a lot, and be sure to drink enough liquids.

Welcome back, Linda!

The roof of my mouth and throat are still very very raw but might be getting a bit better. I was just able to swallow a few sips of cream if wheat and skim milk. I was not expecting such pain. The bariatric part was a breeze. No pain. Just the mouth and throat from tubes and extreme dryness. Some of the skin on the roof of my mouth peeled. But yes I am glad I did it. This too will pass.

Wow, that seems extreme.  Whenever I've been intubated I've had a bit soreness and hoarseness for a couple of days but nothing like you describe.  Have you talked with your surgeon about it?  There are rinses they can prescribe for mouth pain that speeds healing and eases the discomfort.  Sometimes its called "Magic Mouthwash" and has to be compounded by the pharmacy.  If you're miserable it wouldn't hurt to check.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Linda D said:

The roof of my mouth and throat are still very very raw but might be getting a bit better. I was just able to swallow a few sips of cream if wheat and skim milk. I was not expecting such pain. The bariatric part was a breeze. No pain. Just the mouth and throat from tubes and extreme dryness. Some of the skin on the roof of my mouth peeled. But yes I am glad I did it. This too will pass.

Linda - have you checked in with your surgeon/PCP?  I developed a bad case of oral thrush a few days out of my WLS.

I went to the clinic and got a prescription that reduces inflammation and numbs. It is a bit better today. Thanks for the suggestions and comments. This was so unexpected.

Res Ipsa likes this

Eighth day after surgery- mouth and throat feeling much better today. Seems to be healing. The bariatric part of the process was basically non eventful which I am very thankful.

So glad you're on the mend, Linda!