Mrs.G8181

Question

I am trying to find out what happens after you attend the seminar? I know you go see the Doctor, but what do they do there?

At mine, the doctor gave a presentation to a big group of us explaining sleeve & bypass and answered questions. My husband had to attend, too. Afterwards, the doctor's office called to schedule an individual consultation.

At your visit is that When they get Your height and weight for  the insurance approval?

They weighed all of us at the presentation and again at the consultation. We are weighed at everything (support group, nutrition seminar, appointments with surgeon, appointments with nutritionist...). They told us at the presentation that we are not allowed to gain weight from that day on.

Oh ok Thank you! I just want to be prepared

Good luck! It's information overload at first, but we'll all help you through it.

Mine was information only. 

They set up an appointment with the nutritionist, took insurance info.  My NUT then weighed me.  I had a 6 month supervised diet before I met my surgeon.  

Ok thank you.  I feel dumb what is Nut?  What kind of insurance do you have? I have UHC.  What kind of supervised diet were you on? Sorry so many questions.

Nutritionist.  Every program is a little different and every insurance requirement is a little different.  My insurance required 4 month supervised diet.  I didn't lose much weight then but did lose some.  You'll probably have to get multiple clearances from other doctors as well including cardiology, pulmonology and psychology so the months of waiting time are actually running around to various appointments.  It's a lot of info so just take it step by step.  And ask anything here!!

1 hour ago, Mrs.G8181 said:

Ok thank you.  I feel dumb what is Nut?  What kind of insurance do you have? I have UHC.  What kind of supervised diet were you on? Sorry so many questions.

I have bcbs mn.  I had a 6 month supervised diet (insurance rule) -basically 6 monthly visits with a nutritionist.  Couldn't gain (insurance rule).  I had no other tests required other than pre surgery lab work a couple weeks before surgery.  Some doctors have different requirements as well.  

Each insurance is different.  Call yours to find out what is required.  

Now after the seminar and get my office appointment. Will i know before hand how much money I will need 

Your insurance can tell you what all the co-pays will be. I have a copay for all my appointments (consultation, nutritionist, psych eval, primary care medical clearance appointment, pre-op appointment) and a copay for inpatient surgery.

Ok thanks just wandered because my Insurance doesn't pay for weight loss surgery. They only pay once and If you do the cirteria. How long did it take for you to get a appointment at you went to the seminar?

If you are cash pay it may change the time frame; you may not have to do the supervised diet.  

I got in with the NUT about 2 weeks after the seminar.  

Ok thanks. I am hoping my Insurance will cover it

My first appointment was a consultation with the surgeon's nurse practitioner. It was about a week and a half after the seminar.

Ok thanks I hate to ask so much I'm just curious.  After you met with NP do they go by that weight? Do they sent that to insurance company?

They took my weight at the seminar & used that.

All surgical groups and insurance providers are different but here's the general order of events as I experienced it....

1. My regular Internist made the referral to the surgeon.
  2. I attended the informational seminar as directed by the surgeon's office. No weigh in's just an explanation of the different procedures, benefits, risks, etc...
  3. I contacted the surgical office and made an appointment for a consultation.
  4. At the consultation, I was weighed in and had all my vitals taken. The surgeon and I discussed my history and he made his recommendation of what type of procedure I should have. Note: If you've already been working with a nutritionist, your insurance may use the first weigh in with him/her as the starting weight. 
  5. I was pre-approved for surgery with the prerequisite of 6 consecutive months of medically supervised weight loss (nutritionist) by the date of my surgery.
  6. My surgeon required that I get an EKG, heart stress test, blood testing, and psych eval., and lose 15 pounds before surgery as well.

Hopefully this helps. Don't feel bad about asking questions. That's what the forum is here for :-)

7 minutes ago, Jabsie said:

All surgical groups and insurance providers are different but here's the general order of events as I experienced it....

1. My regular Internist made the referral to the surgeon.
  2. I attended the informational seminar as directed by the surgeon's office. No weigh in's just an explanation of the different procedures, benefits, risks, etc...
  3. I contacted the surgical office and made an appointment for a consultation.
  4. At the consultation, I was weighed in and had all my vitals taken. The surgeon and I discussed my history and he made his recommendation of what type of procedure I should have. Note: If you've already been working with a nutritionist, your insurance may use the first weigh in with him/her as the starting weight. 
  5. I was pre-approved for surgery with the prerequisite of 6 consecutive months of medically supervised weight loss (nutritionist) by the date of my surgery.
  6. My surgeon required that I get an EKG, heart stress test, blood testing, and psych eval., and lose 15 pounds before surgery as well.

Hopefully this helps. Don't feel bad about asking questions. That's what the forum is here for :-)

My process was exactly as Jabsie's was. I went to the info seminar in Dec and had surgery in Sept. My process took longer because I had a mini freak out in March and decided I could lose 100+ pounds on my own. I ended up gaining 10 pounds instead so re-started the program in April. Otherwise I would have had surgery in June or July. 

But, if you are self-pay, you could have surgery within a couple of weeks of your initial consult. I would not recommend that though if you haven't already been working on how your life will change and the emotional impact of having weight loss surgery.