N.Flores73

B12 what is the normal lab ranges for post op gastric bypass

I am going 9 years of gastric bypass my recent my b12 has been ranged at 712 indicted high but wondering if high for post op gastric verse normal levels of people without gastric bypass?

My doctor told me that gastric bypass patients should try to have the same B-12 levels as normal people.  The problem is that B-12 can be difficult for a gastric bypass patient to absorb due to the much smaller stomach.  Thus, most gastric bypass patients take B-12 sublingual pills (under their tongue) several times a week or even daily.  From what I understand, having a slightly high B-12 level is not a problem.

I am about 3.5 years out and my B-12 levels are at the high end of the normal range.

I take a sublingual every other day and mine is off the charts.  My PCP suggested I quit taking the sublinguals but I'm afraid not.  In July my bariatric dr suggested every other day so that's what I do.  

According to Medlineplus.gov., "Normal values are 200 to 900 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL)" which is a pretty wide range.

My B12 level is generally between 700 and 900 pg/ML which is in line with Japan and parts of Europe (more than twice the minimum acceptable levels in the U.S.).

I looked up my last results my paper said 200-1100 were normal.  Mine was greater than 2000.