Gretta

Doctor's Suggestion or Own Initiative?

11 posts in this topic

Was WLS suggested to you by a doctor, or did you ask about it based on your own interest?

I wish my doctor had suggested it years ago. I had to ask about it.

My first surgery in 1986 was instigated by me. WLS wasn't very common back then and very few surgeon's did it. My revision surgery was instigated by my surgeon as the only real fix for recurring abdominal pain.

I had to ask to be referred.  I wish my doctors would have suggested it.  I was told later by my doctor"it's a drastic procedure which can result in complications and not everyone is as committed to it as you are".  

Well, don't you think diabetes, high blood pressure and other heath issues can create health complications?!  I remember going into my doctor after having an argument with my then teenage son on the phone walking into the clinic and when the nurse took my blood pressure she raced out of the room, came back and hooked me up to an ekg because she thought I was having a heart attack!  I'm sorry, I was taking 18 pills a day and they just kept adding to them, don't you think it might have been suggested?  With the pills I was taking I couldn't lose weight no matter what I did, so just keep throwing pills at me!

SuziLPN and Waisting like this

I brought up having a gastric bypass to my doctor, and he was very supportive and happy to give me a referral.

Weight loss surgery requires a major and lifelong patient commitment to a life style change, so that I think that doctors are right in most cases not to bring it up as an option to their overweight patients. 

Waisting likes this

I was referred to a surgeon about an umbilical hernia.  He was the one to suggest performing WLS at one and the same time because unless I lost weight (and kept it off), the hernia repair wasn't likely to be long term successful.

Waisting likes this

My endocrinologist suggested it to me.  I had been seeing him for 8 years, during and after gestational diabetes, in an effort to prevent lifelong diabetes.  He had tried me on metformin, prophylactically, and I couldn't tolerate even the extended release form.  He saw me through several weight losses, only to regain what I had lost.  After a year of watching carbs and exercising every single day, with only a few pounds lost, I told him that I no longer knew what to do to help myself and was wondering if weight loss drugs were what I needed.  That's when he suggested the sleeve.  He told me that about 25 of his patients had been sleeved in the past 5 years and their only regret was that they hadn't done it sooner.  He also told me that one of his colleagues was talking to everyone of his diabetic patients about it as an option.  I am grateful that it came from him-to be honest, before hearing about from my physician, I thought it was extreme, despite knowing 4 people who had done it.  A trusted doctor's advice can go a long way.

My doctor suggested it on my first visit with her. I had been to the ER and needed a primary care physician to treat high blood pressure. After crying to her about my anxiety, she gave me Xanax and a referral for a WLS surgeon. 

She has been wonderful through this process. It's amazing to have a doctor that isn't condescending when telling you that you need to lose weight.

Waisting likes this

My doctor suggested it. I thought it wasn't a responsible choice for me at the time because I did everything "right" and still couldn't lose weight. It took me almost a year to come around to the idea that if doing everything right for 10 years to lose the weight didn't result in any weight loss that I needed to do something different. 

Carina and LeeC like this

I'm just starting this journey, but have been thinking about it for years. Recently my primary care doctor suggested it since I have been unable to lose much on my own and my diabetes is way out of control. I made an appointment with my local weight loss surgery center the next week. 

LeeC likes this

I brought it up.

I brought it up but my doctor was extremely supportive and referred me to a fantastic bariatric surgeon.