Mrs.G8181

supervised diet?

Insurance requires this just wandering since I had to see dietician when in Was pregnant. I had gestational diabetes if this would work??

Edited by Mrs.G8181

I had to provide a document that included my weight loss attempts over the years. I listed weight watchers and other programs, including a nutritionist through work. I don't know that a dietitian being used to control gestational diabetes would suffice for insurance because the goal there wasn't weight loss and it was management of a temporary health condition. 

I tend to have a rather skewed view of insurance providers (in my experience, any business that has something to gain financially by making things difficult are almost guaranteed to do just that). I would agree with Createchange that there's a good chance that your treatment for gestational diabetes will not count toward the requirement because it was not medically supervised for the purpose of weight loss/management. In order to cover it, my insurance company required that I have 6 consecutive months of medically supervised weight loss by a doctor or dietician within 12 months of my surgery. I was also required by my surgeon to have an EKG, heart stress test, and psychological evaluation.

Edited by Jabsie

My insurance also requires a 6 month supervised diet, and that's about it. My surgeon is out of state, but the monthly telephone visits with her count as monthly appointments. She has prescribed a specific diet that I'm supposed to be aiming for, but the insurance company doesn't require any specific number of pounds that have to be lost or anything like that, just 6 months of physician-documented weights on a scale.  The surgeon herself requires the psych eval, visit with nutritionist, long list of labs, and clearance from PCP. But that's pretty normal I think for either the insurance company, or the program, to require.