Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jskyee

3 weeks post op and struggling

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm cleared to start puréed or Soft foods as of Tuesday the 14th and I am struggling to get in anything. I tried an egg and after two bites I'm done, 1/4th of a cheese stick and done I have mainly been back to shakes to make sure I'm getting in my protein. What's the key to getting in more real foods at this rate I feel like I'll never be able to get to at least an ounce of food.

Welcome to Thinner Times Jskyee!

I'm sorry you're off to a slow start - have you spoken with your surgeon and/or nutritionist about your difficulties eating?

I'm going to ask them for more help, I wasn't really sure if it was normal I feel like I see ppl at my stage eating a lot more.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, Jskyee said:

I'm going to ask them for more help, I wasn't really sure if it was normal I feel like I see ppl at my stage eating a lot more.

How is it going?  Are you feeling better now?  There are many people who take longer to get real foods in .... my friend is a month and a half out and she is still drinking shakes because she is afraid to eat.  I have not had that issue.  I think it would be good to talk to your NUT.

i was the same way immediately post op.  it took me forever to get more than a few bites in of anything. people have asked me how i lost so fast and honestly i think that is a big part of it. everyone is different and some can tolerate heavier foods sooner than others. it's ok if you can't get much solid stuff in yet. make sure to stay hydrated and meet your protein goals the best you can.  always try the solid first (a bite or two of chicken breast or whatever) and if that fills you, wait the 1/2 hour or 45 min and have a protein shake.  it will get better, i promise! 

I started soft foods last Friday and loving the hummus, refried beans and such but lucky to finish 1/2c in an hour.  Taking it slowly has been really helpful and I feel so much better having "real" food instead of shakes.  I mix protein powder into oatmeal in the morning, beans for lunch/dinner.  Still using SF popsicles for snacks.  

Blender things really taste good to me; black beans/avocado/mild salsa and then top w/cheese.  Feels like I'm eating an enchilada... a few bites and full but feel so satisfied.  

My clinic says no to eggs for first 4 wks, think they are tough to tolerate for some folks.  I can not wait to try them in a couple weeks and hope its okay.  

Good luck, hope its going better this week.  

For some of us it takes longer. I had surgery at the beginning of February and I can still only eat about an ounce of food. I am still heavily relying on the protein shakes or I would never even come close to my protein goal. I am told over time this will get better. we are still healing at this point so it's okay.

Alexa21 likes this

Yeah unfortunately everyone is different. But what you can try to do is really really take your time eating. When it comes to eggs I had trouble at first but then I started to slice the eggs instead of biting, and roughly eat a slice every 5 min or so. Haven't had any problems since.