LaLuna

Pre-op Blues

6 posts in this topic

I'm on day 8 of my pre-op diet.  Today, I'm struggling.  I feel light-headed, tired, like I'm just dragging.  Any suggestions? 

Welcome to Thinner Times LaLuna!

Try and up your fluids as much as possible - that should help.  If not, contact your nutritionist or surgeon for advice. 

Jabsie likes this

Thanks Cinwa! 

I'm going to try to do that.  I survived this far, I can make it another couple of days.  I see you had huge success with your surgery.  That's inspiring! 

Jabsie likes this

I totally agree with Cinwa (as usual) - liquids are a great way to help yourself through the pre-op diet. 

It is also emotionally very helpful in the pre-op period to look forward  If you stick to the high protein low calorie post-op diet plan from your surgeon, drink lots and lots of no calorie liquids, do not smoke (or abuse alcohol), take your vitamins every day, and maintain an active lifestyle (I like long walks, other people like to go to the gym), you will lose lots of weight.  In fact, with a gastric sleeve or gastric bypass there is no reason that you cannot reach your goal weight and be able to maintain long term at that weight.  This does require having a "new relationship with food" in which food is not a source of comfort and is consumed in healthy amounts, but this new relationship should come to you in the months after your surgery. 

You may also find it helpful to look at these healthy people who used their weight loss surgeries to become healthy, thin and active:

Also, check out all the wonderful "NSV" joys that come with weight loss after weight loss surgery:

In addition, check out the many before and after photos in this forum, including these ones:

Finally, check out my weight loss history (in case anyone tells you that you cannot lose all your excess weight and keep it off):

weight.png

Pre-op diets can be mind numbingly boring, plus if your body isn't used to that type of diet it reacts in ways we never expect. The best advice I can give is to focus on other things as much as possible. Keep yourself as busy with non-surgery related thoughts and activities as much as you can. In times when this whole ride gets too much for me, and I'm just too fatigued to function normally, I just grab a trashy ( no thought required) movie, and veg out somewhere comfy. Thoughts about upcoming surgery stress me out too much, so I just try to maintain the right direction without focusing on where it is all heading.

On 3/14/2017 at 2:45 PM, Zyia said:

That really does seem fast. Mine took 8 months, however I appreciated every moment of that because I had to take classes, talk with a psychologist, nail down a diet, change how I ate, It really helped me to prepare. If you are not ready for it, then I would postpone until you are. It's an amazingly huge adjustment, and even with all of what I had to do, the hoops I had to go through, I don't think I would have done as well as I did/am without it. 

I agree I went to classes I learned a lot...I understand everything a week is like wow I would wait a little bit ijs