tmcgee

Spicy pickles

16 posts in this topic

You can find these about once a year in New England, and yes, I did buy two jars.

IMG_0983.jpg

Clickin, Cheesehead and Res Ipsa like this

I love spicy pickles.

One of the greatest fears that I had about having gastric bypass surgery was that I would have to give up spicy foods. This proved not to be an issue.  Indeed, I probably eat more spicy food now than I did before my gastric bypass. 

Stephtay, Cheesehead and tmcgee like this

Is it hard not to drink with spicy foods?

6 hours ago, Gretta said:

I like spicy food Gretta but as with all of my meals, I always have a couple of pieces of cucumber, celery, orange, grapes or watermelon etc. available to end with if needed.

8 hours ago, Gretta said:

I haven't found drinking necessary, I'm more apt to need a little water with dry food

Thanks for the replies!

tmcgee likes this

On 3/15/2017 at 4:46 PM, Res Ipsa said:

I love spicy pickles.

One of the greatest fears that I had about having gastric bypass surgery was that I would have to give up spicy foods. This proved not to be an issue.  Indeed, I probably eat more spicy food now than I did before my gastric bypass. 

Shaw's Stupidmarket  has them near Boston.

Res Ipsa likes this

On 3/16/2017 at 1:14 AM, Gretta said:

I get a little concerned; I have 2 Mexican sons in laws and another son in law who can down ghost peppers like apples.  I make my hubby try something if I'm thinking it's going to need a fire extinguisher to put it out!  Daughter lived 2 years in china and cooks with hot peppers too so I'm surrounded..  as soon as I was cleared at 12 days post op I was putting regular taco sauce on refried beans for flavor.  Taco sauce and salsa are my go to low calorie condiments.  I put that stuff on chicken...

Clickin and Stephtay like this

Hey Tom, our Cub supermarket had that in hot and spices spears-didn't see the chips..I love clauses hearty garlic pickles!!

tmcgee likes this

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

Hey Tom, our Cub supermarket had that in hot and spices spears-didn't see the chips..I love clauses hearty garlic pickles!!

I can't figure Claussen supermarket faire at all, Lois. Last year, we had the spicy spears, this year they can't be found, at least not yet.

Cheesehead likes this

Well, just to add a little heat to this discussion, my spouse found some Habanero (spectacularly hot) pickles at Whole Foods recently. They were a hoot - hot as all get out yet refreshing as pickles can be. I think I'm going to make some this summer when all the local cucumbers are coming in. 

Posted (edited)

Tom, knowing how much you love pickles, have you tried making them?  My hubby gets a mix; mrs. Wages.  They make a jalapeño spice one.  He follows the directions and stores it in the fridge.  No canning involved.  He ones make pickled Brussels sprouts (need to be canned) and pickled zucchini spears (don't can those-they turn to mush)  he cuts small zucchini into spears to eat with sandwiches..  Makes a small batch.  They are quick and easy.. you could add hot peppers to them..

Our kids love both of them...

Edited by Cheesehead
tmcgee likes this

tmcgee, have you seen the spicy ones yet at the market? Cheesehead, I'll look up the Mrs. Wages. Great tip!

On 3/15/2017 at 11:14 PM, Gretta said:

You can't get food spicy enough for me. So I usually have some greek yogurt to kill the burn when it gets to be too much. Sour cream works too. 

Gretta likes this

I haven't made pickles as yet, I like them, just don't eat that many of them. At our local farmer's market, we have a local company from Rhode Island that sells spicy pickles, Fox Point Pickling Company. They have garlic and spicy dill pickles, pickled carrots, and green beans.

http://www.foxpointpickles.com

LeeC and Cheesehead like this

21 hours ago, tmcgee said:

I haven't made pickles as yet, I like them, just don't eat that many of them. At our local farmer's market, we have a local company from Rhode Island that sells spicy pickles, Fox Point Pickling Company. They have garlic and spicy dill pickles, pickled carrots, and green beans.

http://www.foxpointpickles.com

Tom, I looked in two different markets in the last two days for the Claussen spicy pickles. I didn't find them in either place! I hope they show up sooon!