Isaare

Yes I dump

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well, sometimes I've read not everyone dumps on sweet food, only a small percentage of patients does. I've always been curious about whether would I be one of them or not. 

Yesterday I had a visit with my NUT who cleared me to try rice, as every food I've tried till now has been ok for me. We talked about sushi. It's clear that sushi rice is sweetened with sugar (7%) and vinegar, so trying sushi dishes has some risk of dumping. Anyway she told me that as long as I dindn't eat more than three pieces it would be difficult to dump.

So guess what. When I got out I went to a japanese take away gluten free place and bought a salmon-avocado-masago cali roll. Not much rice in it. One roll makes 8 pieces. I started eating them and when I reached 3 pieces I thought: "I'm not as satisfied as when I eat fish alone". So I ate a little more. Surprisingly I was able to eat the 8 pieces (I'm never able to eat such a volume of meat, I swear!). I arrived home feeling tachycardic and a little dizzy. I laid down on the sofa for half an hour and the sensation dissapeared.

So two learned lessons about myself yesterday:

- First of all: yes I dump. If a little of sweetened rice (mixed with fish and avocado!) can make me feel dizzy and tachycardic, it seems that I will dump if I eat things such as icecream or cookies. So: don't eat!

- Second but not less important: protein first. It's easy to "override" the volume restriction imposed by our RNY if we eat softer foods. So: never ever eat first course first. Always "second course" first!

Edited by Isaare

Dumping SUCKS! I dump on sweets and high carbs. No bueno.

I will be 10 years post-RNY this September and truthfully, I have not dumped once but in honesty, I have not pushed the guidelines given by my NUT.

The closest I got was having the "foamies" when I swallowed a large piece of strawberry without chewing it.  I resembled a rabid dog for a good 10-15 minutes!  :lol:

Res Ipsa likes this

I only dump if I have a large bowl of ice cream. I can have moderate amounts of sweets and not dump. 

Note that some people find that what makes them dump changes over time. 

My dumping issues are grease/fried foods.  And alcohol!  I actually order no grease or oil added when dining out.  I forgot one time and had chicken fajitas glistening when they arrived; ate part of it and had to excuse myself and go home.  Alcohol may or may not make me sick.  I'm not sure why... I had a glass of rum punch last year, it went down good, got another glass, could feel it was a no go, stopped put it in the fridge.  Had it the next night and was sick.  It came out of the same pitcher so I know it was the same batch.  

My family is going for all you can eat sushi tomorrow night; I'll think of you;). I don't like rice or fish so I just order off the menu.  

And just because it makes you sick now doesn't mean you won't be able to enjoy a couple pieces in a couple of months...

Isaare likes this