annegirl

2 weeks to go!!!

5 posts in this topic

HI, new here. On my 2nd day of the 14 day Optifast before my upcoming VSG surgery.  Day 2 was much better than day 1 so I am sure it will be fine. Having more trouble with my "feelings" than I anticipated.  I felt sad at the grocery store 3 days ago. It just feel odd.

I feel a little lost. Did anyone else feel this way? I'm not having cold feet. I want to be thinner, healthier and more active. I look forward to it. Food, cooking, and baking, have become a fun important part of my life.  I know I will get back to it but...it just feels odd.

Thoughts??

Your feelings are normal as your life is about to radically change. With weight loss surgery, you really can transform yourself into a thin, healthy and more active person. We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. 

As someone who was trained as a chef, food was and remains very important to me. I just eat a much healthier diet now. I truly do not miss my old unhealthy diet. 

cinwa likes this

Welcome to Thinner Times Anne!

I can't really add much to what Res Ipsa posted.  For me, the emotional side of my WLS journey was much harder than the physical one but something that helped was to plan ahead, have a shopping list and stick to it which should help restrict the time you spend in the store.

Posted (edited)

Welcome Anne!  I understand what you mean.  I felt like a stranger in a strange land. TTF is a wonderful place for you to be.  Keep coming back as often as you need to. I can share my experience so far with you: I am only 4 1/2 weeks post op from a VSG (down 30.5 lbs).  It was a super quick recovery, all in all.  So far, the most difficult part was the pre-op and early post-op diet, but if you follow your surgeon's eating plan, you will avoid complications, set yourself up for success and do well.  I wanted to share with you that as strange as it seems, after the first 2 weeks, I have been able to cook for my family and friends, sit at the table with them and still enjoy it-your focus shifts from being about the food and fellowship to being about the fellowship, and their enjoyment of the food.  I don't feel at all resentful that they can enjoy things I can't (which I was afraid I would).  Also interesting-not sure if this will last, so I will defer to Res Ipsa and Cinwa, but I do not crave sweets yet-even though they are right in front of me.  I may be overstating the case here, because I am so early post-op, but I would describe my experience as being so grateful to eat again and have a serious chance at substantial weight loss that everything on plan tastes amazing, even puréed food (which I was terrified of).  My tastes have not (yet) changed.  I am eating 1/2-1 premiere protein chocolate shake, 1 cup of Greek or Icelandic yogurt (most protein) and about 6 tiny bites of whatever is for dinner (carb free, chicken, turkey or fish).  Since I am the primary cook, I make sure dinner contains soft food since that's the phase I am in (for example, turkey meatballs).  I have 8 or so days to "regular food"-which will include salad and I CAN NOT WAIT for a salad.  The texture deprivation early on really stirs up the anticipation for crunchy foods.  The people on TTF are super helpful and they will reinforce what you need for success-water and protein, water and protein, water and protein.  I wish you the best and please keep us up to date on your progress or struggles, and continue reaching out as you need to.  ☘️

Edited by Waisting
Res Ipsa likes this

Thanks for the comments and support. I'm day 3 with the pre-op diet and intend to stick with it 100%.  I have my pre-op clearance with my PCP in 2 days.

My step-grand-daughter, her BF and new baby are arriving for a visit Saturday. Can't wait. I will plan on cooking when they are here but do feel confident I won't be eating.

My biggest problem, AWFUL heartburn/ I already take 2 meds/day for this but the shakes are killing me. Also seem to go right through me (hate to be graphic). The bars don't seem to cause this problem

Anne

Waisting likes this