Karimeaway

Feel like a druggie

8 posts in this topic

Advil pm is out but I bought zzzquil.  I do not think this has The same ingredients and advil p.m. Has anyone tried this?

Pretty much every OTC sleep aid is just an antihistamine.....either diphenhydramine or doxylamine.  Advil PM is ibuprofen +diphenhydramine.  Zzquill is diphenhydramine.  Benadryl is diphenhydramine.  Unison is doxylamine.  Nothing magic or special about any of them.  If they work for you, Just find the cheapest version.  Other natural sleep aid options are melatonin, valerian root and camomille tea. 

Personally, none of them work for me and I have to hit the big guns.....got a good supply of ambien, trazadone, and diazepam in my medicine cabinet. :blink:

Zzzquil makes me feel hung over in the morning.  Watch it if you have to keep your wits the next day:)

Kari,

Do you need some help with pain or just a sleep aid?

Doyou have any good suggestions? I used to be a good sleeper, but now a couple weeks after surgery, I wake up every 1-2 hours and have to walk around. I noticed last night I don't really have the abdominal pain that I had - reducing until basically zero last night, but first I wake up with a pain in the right hip/leg, then walk around and then sleep left side only to wake up in 1-2 hours with the right hip/leg pain, walk around then back to right side again only to have inside right knee pain, walk around and sleep on left side only to get right side pain again. I am not a back sleeper, but sometimes I do just to see if I can get some sleep ... about 1-2 hours resulting in a backache. I was using the last of the pain killer in case something pulled again. I would like to avoid supplements as I don't think they work for me, and I feel like one more will just push me over the edge!

I use diphenhydramine and trazadone -- they help.

Antihistamine for me. Not sure where you're at in the process but I remember reading that when you are in ketosis it affects sleep quite dramatically. The recommendation was to take some honey or sugar before bed to just tip you out of ketosis long enough to get to sleep. That sounded counterproductive to me so I choose to try a few water crackers with around 20g cheese. It works a treat for me. Takes me out of ketosis long enough to get to sleep, then I go back into ketosis while sleeping. Your mileage may vary.

I do find though that getting out of bed and walking around just serves to wake me up even more, so on night time waking I try to stay in bed unless nature calls.

Thank you both for your suggestions.