Jessadee

Average initial weight loss?

8 posts in this topic

I just had gastric bypass on 03/08/17 and have been wondering about average loss at the beginning. I started off at 235 and my doc's goal for me is 151 (mine is 145). I was just curious what the range has been for others who have had 100 or less to lose at the beginning. Thanks!

First, congrats on surgery. I hope you are healing well!

I am seven months out, and I have lost about 125lbs. I followed my 'diet' to the letter. Even today, I eat protein, no carbs, no starches. I was 290 when it all started, today I hover around 165, my goal is 160, and my surgeron's goal was never quite talked about, just wanted my co-morbidies gone (Diabetes, and high-blood pressure). I am currently in a stall, which I have been for about a month and a half.

However, all bodies are different. It's hard, I remember at first, wondering if I even had the surgery done because I wasn't losing much weight, and I really didn't have to heal much. However, once it started, it really started. 

Good luck to you! 

Alexa21, ThinCVT and athenarose like this

Posted (edited)

My day of surgery weight was about 10 pounds more than you and, over the first three months, I lost 35 pounds. And I hit my goal weight (110 pound down from my day of surgery weight) before a year post op. But, like Zyia said, everyone is different. Don't try to get too caught up in the pace that others lose at. We all have our own journey. I hope you're healing well. :)

Edited by athenarose
Zyia likes this

I have a lifelong history of being obsessed with the scales so decided not to have them in the house once I had my WLS until I got into the normal BMI range for my height.  And it was the best thing I could have done for myself.

It freed me to concentrate on following the programme and keeping up with my daily exercise.

Karimeaway and ThinCVT like this

My starting stats were similar to yours...5'5" 238 pounds BMI 40 and looking to lose about 80-90 pounds.  I don't even own a scale, so only weighed myself 5 times in the first 3 months.  I mostly measured my success by NSVs and clothes size.  Here's my early stats.....

day 11 - 0 pounds lost

week 6 - 17 pounds lost

week 7 - up 3 pounds 

week 10 - weighed the same as week 6 ( but had dropped a whole pant size during this stall month)

week 12 - lost 8 pounds

So basically, at 3 months postop I had lost 25 pounds.  I went on to lose 100 pounds within the first year.  This was 20 pounds below my surgeon's goal and 10 pounds below my personal goal.  Just remember you will likely stall and even gain a few pounds along the way, but if you are diligent, stick with the basic rules of protein, veggies and LOTS of water you will get where you want to be, at whatever pace your body wants to.

athenarose likes this

I began at 304 pounds.  :o

In the two months prior to my surgery I lost 20 pounds to be at 284 pounds.

After my RNY gastric bypass surgery in November 2013, my monthly weight loss rates were as follows:

1.  23 pounds

2.  16 pounds

3.  16 pounds

4.  12 pounds

5.  18 pounds

6.  7 pounds

7.  7 pounds

8.  2 pounds

9.  0 pounds

10. 4 pounds

11. 2 pounds - at which point (in mid-October 2014) I reached 177 pounds.  This is just below my goal weight.

Thus, I lost 127 pounds in all - 20 pounds before surgery and 107 pounds after surgery. I did not have any medical complications.

Once I reached 177 pounds, I went onto a maintenance diet - which allows me to eat most foods in moderation (what my NUT calls "mindful eating.") as long as I eat lots of lean protein, try to avoid high sugar and high fat foods, drinks lots of liquids, get reasonable amounts of exercise, and take my vitamins every day.  I feel great. 

Note that in general (I) men lose weight faster than women, and (ii) gastric bypass patients lose weight faster than gastric sleeve patients.

ThinCVT likes this

As mentioned above, I did not have scales in the house - I relied on follow-up visits for weigh-ins.  This is my weight loss chart:

Weight loss.JPG

Res Ipsa and Cheesehead like this

Posted (edited)

It's good to have a healthy and realistic goal but please bear in mind that we all have a different experience and measuring yourself against others may not necessarily be helpful.

After my VSG I lost 119 lbs, reaching my goal in about 9 months. I exercised as soon as I could and lost an average of 10-12 pounds a month over the first 6 months. I weighed once a week until I got to my goal and weigh every day now to help keep me on track. At the urging of my NUT, I ended up changing my goal weight to be 10 pounds higher than what I originally planned. She helped me understand and consider my body composition to determine what my goal weight should be and reminded me that metabolic health is about more than just the number on the scale.

I'd suggest taking weekly body measurements in addition to weighing in. It was recommended to me to do this and the information turned out to be really valuable because there were weeks that I lost inches but not pounds. Overall, my weight loss charted like a flight of stairs where the inches lost was a ramp.

Another suggestion that turned out to be helpful was to think of my weight loss in terms of percentages and not pounds. Here's an arbitrary example:

Month 1:  Current weight: 200. Goal weight: 145. Excess weight: 55. If you lose 10 pounds you'll have lost 18% of your total excess weight.

Month 2:  Current weight: 190. Goal weight: 145. Excess weight: 45. If you lose 8 pounds you'll have lost 18% of your total excess weight.

Edited by Jabsie
Aussie H likes this