Smashlee83

From consult to surgery in 1 week!

18 posts in this topic

I am not prepared. I have been looking at this forum all morning while prepping for my consult today. They had an opening for next week and I jumped on it. Freaking out a little, but I am so ready for this change!

Cheesehead and Alexa21 like this

Wait, your surgery is one week after your consult???  That's crazy

Yes. I was not expecting that at all. But I am not paying through insurance so maybe why so fast?

That really does seem fast. Mine took 8 months, however I appreciated every moment of that because I had to take classes, talk with a psychologist, nail down a diet, change how I ate, It really helped me to prepare. If you are not ready for it, then I would postpone until you are. It's an amazingly huge adjustment, and even with all of what I had to do, the hoops I had to go through, I don't think I would have done as well as I did/am without it. 

Waisting, Alexa21 and Kesha like this

That's the purpose of this community though right? Support and guidance?

It's faster than I had expected. That's true. But I am over the moon. I need this leap in the right direction.

Nelle and Alexa21 like this

That's awesome! Mine was less than 3 months and that felt fast. You must feel like everything is going in fast forward. Do you have any specific questions or concerns?

Alexa21 likes this

It does feel like fast forward! I have been working with a client rep and researching for a few months. But wow.

Not really any questions yet. I'm sure I'll have a billion of the next few days. Just trying to get to know people and read up on experiences.

athenarose and Alexa21 like this

Wow, how exciting! You'll do great. It sounds like you're educating yourself quickly. Heck, we've all crammed for other things before, right? You've come to the right place. 

Welcome Smashlee83!  We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. 

Smashlee83 likes this

Welcome to Thinner Times Smashlee!

Smashlee83 likes this

Thanks everyone! I have 6 more days. Blood work today. Therapy tomorrow. Endoscopy Tuesday then it's go time!

I have ordered all of my vitamins and protein powder. Any recommendations on things I will need at home?

2 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

Thanks everyone! I have 6 more days. Blood work today. Therapy tomorrow. Endoscopy Tuesday then it's go time!

I have ordered all of my vitamins and protein powder. Any recommendations on things I will need at home?

Gas-X meltaway strips helped me a ton with post-op gas/air (which is painful!). I love my Camelbak Eddy and will sing it's praises to the end of time (it's has a bite valve straw which made a huge difference in getting in my fluids post-op). Unjury unflavored protein powder was another huge help for me (I couldn't tolerate other protein shakes so I would mix the unflavored powder into yogurt to help boost my protein intake). Oh! And order the Celebrate vitamin sample. It's a good way to try different flavors post-op without spending a ton. Also, I'm sure you've seen the advice about not buying too much of anything because your tastes will change post-op. It's true! I took that advice and still wound up having to have my (now ex) husband consume many of my rejects. A lot also depends on your surgeon's diet. I was allowed smooth yogurt and strained soups from the first week post-op so I ate a lot of that (well, not a lot, but those were my main foods). Sugar free Popsicles are good too, if you can handle artificial sweeteners and the cold doesn't bother your pouch. Oh, I'm so excited for you. The great thing about the process going so fast is that you don't have a ton of time to get into your own head and start second-guessing yourself. 

Thank you so much Athena! All valuable info.

athenarose likes this

Tomorrow is my surgery date - and I had a really quick turnaround from the initial seminar - exactly 2 months. On top of the diet and exercise changes, I've been spending a lot of time reading and watching YouTube videos - check out Clusie's YouTube channel, she has a ton of VSG videos on a range of topics. They were entertaining and interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGHPqGhf1TOLpJ4hUVF08w

Good luck! It will be here soon! :)

allgreen112 likes this

I love Clusie! She is hilarious. I have also been watching My Precious Life. She has an adorable family and she is happy to share her experiences.

On 15/03/2017 at 4:38 AM, Smashlee83 said:

I am not prepared. I have been looking at this forum all morning while prepping for my consult today. They had an opening for next week and I jumped on it. Freaking out a little, but I am so ready for this change!

I'm not sure if I'd see such a quick surgery as a good thing or a bad one. On the good side you have no time to second guess your decision, plus you jump on the fast moving train without all the often annoying delays. On the other hand it also leaves very little time to prepare yourself (and those close to you) for the huge changes that are about to come.

Best wishes to you though for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery.

9 hours ago, jenn3366 said:

Tomorrow is my surgery date - and I had a really quick turnaround from the initial seminar - exactly 2 months. On top of the diet and exercise changes, I've been spending a lot of time reading and watching YouTube videos - check out Clusie's YouTube channel, she has a ton of VSG videos on a range of topics. They were entertaining and interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGHPqGhf1TOLpJ4hUVF08w

Good luck! It will be here soon! :)

Good luck on your surgery today! and thanks for the videos. I'll watch them now.

This will be the best time to get your greatest results (first 18 months). Follow the eating plan prescribed by your doctor.  Read about your new lifestyle.  Know that is a "tool."   Congrats! 

Edited by LadyFl